DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #41
Peter Katin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
It has been ages since I used Word for anything beyond plain text, but I believe you can assign a Word style — specifying typeface, size, style, etc. — to the address fields. Then they should print as you want them to.
Like I say, I can assign all those things to the address fields and the preview is as I want it, but it's quite likely to ignore it all in the actual printing. Clicking "default" means that the styles will come up in new files only.
Peter Katin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #42
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Katin View Post
Like I say, I can assign all those things to the address fields and the preview is as I want it, but it's quite likely to ignore it all in the actual printing. Clicking "default" means that the styles will come up in new files only.
Sorry, I must not have been reading carefully. I assume you are assigning via stylesheets, not item by item?

Sure sounds frustrating.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #43
Peter Katin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Sorry, I must not have been reading carefully. I assume you are assigning via stylesheets, not item by item?

Sure sounds frustrating.
If I use mostly DL envelopes, then I should be able to use the same settings but there doesn't seem to be a command for this, so I often have to do the settings manually but even then what gets printed isn't what I wanted. I thought it was a glitch, and reinstalled 2002, but it wasn't!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #44
Michael Rowley

Peter:

Quote:
If I use mostly DL envelopes, then I should be able to use the same settings but there doesn't seem to be a command for this
All my letterheads are used for letters that go in DL window envelopes, so I have my templates for letters suited accordingly. The space for the recipients address is part of a table, and the position of the table is arranged for the position and size of the window. The only snag is that in my time I've used German, American, and English window envelopes, and some are not even standard, and the standards are all different from country to country.

'Automatically update' is a very old command for Word styles, but I've never used it, as that can cause embarassment if you reuse an old document; apparently it can cause corruption too. It updates all the style of your old documents based on the same template to whatever you've chosen today.

Word 12 actually gives you the choice of adjusted style just for that document only or for that and all future documents, but the old 'automatically update' command is still there fort the unwary.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #45
LoisWakeman
Staff

It is one of the options in the detailed properties of a style definition. (Choose Modify in the styles pane to see it.) Example below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dialog.gif
Views:	11
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1358  
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #46
Peter Katin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
It is one of the options in the detailed properties of a style definition. (Choose Modify in the styles pane to see it.) Example below.
Well, I seem to remember something of the sort in earlier versions but I can't find it anywhere in 2002. I'll try one more trick, though.