Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
OK, where it says to click the balloon, click the balloon. <g>

That should bring up a dialog box (that I can't figure out how to get to otherwise).

On the left, there are some options; one of them has something to do with controlling how Windows nag... er ... notifies you. Click that and there's an option there to zip its lip.
I rebooted to get the nag message, clicked on it, and it gave me a screen to choose what to do about Microsoft antivirus, firewall, and automatic updates. I clicked on the automatic updates choice, and guess what, the same window that I posted before was right there for me to make the same choices as before.

Now I must admit that I have changed the power administration settings, and consequently it seems that my WinXP Pro computer never really does a cold boot, it "resumes" with a progress bar across the bottom of the black screen instead. It may be that process doesn't allow some of the choices possible with a cold boot.

Perhaps I could get a cold boot by turning off the power strip, but I haven't tried that yet. Also, I could revert to the never turn anything off power administration settings. Maybe the spirit of adventure will allow me to try those options, but not right away.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote