DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Arena condensed

I've inherited an InDesign file that is squalling for the Arena Condensed family. I do have a PDF of the file -- Arena is a sans serif font. Type 1, I think.

A search of the usual font vendors (admittedly not an exhaustive search) hasn't turned up anything except a Berthold serif font -- definitely not it.

I found one web site:

http://www.kandjsupplies.com/text_fo...condensed.html

that shows what does appear to be the correct font. But they seem to sell fonts by subscription, and I don't want to subscribe, no matter how many fonts I can download.

I'm guessing Arena is a knockoff of something, but I don't know what. If anyone recognizes the face on that web page, please let me know ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Mike
Staff

I have a couple of versions of Arena Condensed. One came from a Keyfonts collection published in 1990 and the other is a WSI font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArenCond.gif
Views:	14
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1352  

www.welshframing.com

Last edited by Mike; 09-17-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
marlene
Staff

Brilliant! When I read your message, I immediately remembered that I bought some Keyfonts a really, really long time ago. I found the box in the basement -- "Keyfonts for Windows 3.1" -- and the fonts are on floppies!

But Arena is included, at least most of them. It doesn't have the Condensed Light, but that's only used on a couple of lines of text and maybe nobody will notice if it's in Condensed Regular.

Ta!

mxh
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Howard Allen

From what I can see, it looks like a condensed version of Helvetica. The "Aa", "Gg", "Rr" and other characters seem to be drawn pretty much identically to Helvetica. At the very least, I'd bet that a condensed Helvetica would make a good substitute, if you have trouble getting that Arena font off your floppies.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
Brilliant! When I read your message, I immediately remembered that I bought some Keyfonts a really, really long time ago. I found the box in the basement -- "Keyfonts for Windows 3.1" -- and the fonts are on floppies!

But Arena is included, at least most of them. It doesn't have the Condensed Light, but that's only used on a couple of lines of text and maybe nobody will notice if it's in Condensed Regular.
I think Howard has it right — it is (yet another) knockoff of Helvetica.

I set the same array in Neue Helvetica Light Condensed, and it sure does look close enough for folk music. Or satisfying clients.

The main difference I can see is in the x-height, but it is fairly subtle. And Lino can almost certainly be counted on to do a better job of drawing Helvetica than whomever.

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helv-neue.png
Views:	10
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1356  

Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

By golly, it does look like a condensed Helvetica. How did I miss that??

But I need to stick with Arena -- apparently the client originally used it (or their original designer did -- I don't really know the history of this project), and I need to match it. I know if I use Helvetica, type will rewrap, and I ain't in the mood to check every line!

I was able to get the fonts off the ancient floppies, but was what funny was that I forget that I even had a floppy drive in my newest PC. <LOL> It's a combo drive (takes floppies and various flavors of memory cards) so I didn't immediately realize there actually was a slot their for the floppies.

mxh
Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Thank goodness you have a PC. Macs haven't had floppy drives since last century or thereabouts.

Last time I was given a floppy disk I had to resurrect an old machine from the attic to read it. I have a friend who keeps an old Mac going just because it has a Jazz drive.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Thank goodness you have a PC. Macs haven't had floppy drives since last century or thereabouts.

Last time I was given a floppy disk I had to resurrect an old machine from the attic to read it. I have a friend who keeps an old Mac going just because it has a Jazz drive.
Can a Mac use a USB floppy drive? Floppy drives are rare on new PCs, though you might be able to add one if the motherboard supports it. People who need floppy drives generally use USB floppy drives.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVegVT View Post
Can a Mac use a USB floppy drive?
Yes. KT has one, if I recall correctly.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Yes. KT has one, if I recall correctly.
Not me, though I have thought of it. When Chuck was here last fall and we were doing a mad jig with a laptop, four desktop computers with only 3 monitors, old Syquests, floppies, weird electronic storage devices, and all that, I really meant to get a USB floppy drive. But the moment passed.

Still have floppies, though. Should look into it. The iMac has lots of USB ports.