DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
Mike
Staff

Thanks, Lois. I tried that but it doesn't make any difference. Not sure if I did it right.

Now I've define the action there doesn't seem to be any way of editing or deleting it.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It may depend on the camera. Of three I use,

- one *requires* the camera's software to be installed (read: Baud gave us teeny card readers to save us from this sort of lameness)

- one requires you to choose a setting on the camera itself before it'll behave like a USB drive

- one either just works or I've never bothered to find out, I can't remember which ... that "teeny cardreader" thing again. SD readers are so small and cheap that it's not worth horsing around with software and cables. IMO, of course.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ah. Canon cameras ... you might want to visit www.breezesys.com to see if any of their offerings will do you some good. I like BreezeBrowser and sometimes use their downloader app, but they also have some neat-looking things for camera control. Canon only, so I haven't paid much attention.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: I want to control the camera from the computer.
Ahhh...I thought you were copying image files...I've never used any of Canon's software after reading a couple of reports that it did odd things to people's systems...

>>It's a bit like a cookery book telling you how to plant wheat as the first step in making a sponge cake.

LOL!!!

>> At the moment I'm a bit restricted in the amount of experimenting I can do as the batteries only last a few hours when connected to the PC. I'm waiting for a power supply to arrive.

Yeah...that's one reason I never have copied files directly from the camera to my system and use a reader...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: only to find out, an hour later, that the trainee's PC, under the same SOE, had just happily allowed her to download all her photos after plugging in the same camera.
LOL!!! I'll bet you forgot to sacrifice a chicken salad sandwich to the computer gods...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Ah. Canon cameras ... you might want to visit www.breezesys.com to see if any of their offerings will do you some good. I like BreezeBrowser and sometimes use their downloader app, but they also have some neat-looking things for camera control. Canon only, so I haven't paid much attention.
Thanks, Steve. That looks interesting and does a few useful things that the Canon s/w doesn't.

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
pubber

I regularly transfer photos from my Canon D40 SLR camera and Canon Powershot A560 compact camera directly to my computer via a USB hub, and never have any problems.
I've also connected them directly to the USB port on the computer at various times.
I get a pop-up message asking me which media I want to use, ie. scanner, camera, etc.
If this message doesn't display, which has sometimes happened, I go into my computer and there's an icon for the camera there. I just click on this icon and start the transfer process.
Have you considered re-installing XP?
pubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #18
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubber View Post
Have you considered re-installing XP?
I'm loath to do that. The main purpose of the computer is running some software that cost me about $500 per month for a license. The license key is pre-paid by typing in a number and I hate to run the risk of losing that - however small.

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Try right-clicking...

Why are you plugging the camera in directly?? That's why the powers that be have made card readers...'-}}

Terrie
Card readers aren't always a good alternative, either. My FinePix E510 camera does not download with the supplied cable, but taking the XD card out and putting it in my card reader works just fine, but at the price of having to reset the date and time when I put the card back in the camera. The camera won't take a picture until the date is set again.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #20
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
When I plug my camera into my Windows XP PC I get a dialog box popping up asking which application I want to use. The application I want to use isn't in the list. Any idea how I can get Windows to automatically open the application that I do want to use?
Here's another vote for the Breeze Systems software for Canon.