DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Percolator talk

I ran across a FAQ on preparing coffee in a percolator, and it reminded me of discussions we have had here.

Coffee snobs (like me, I readily admit) do not like percolator-brewed coffee. The basic reason is what the process does to the flavor. But we use hand-selected, carefully prepared, home-roasted beans, loved like a child (or at least a pet).

Many people are quite happy with coffee from the supermarket. What they drink is as different from what I do as coffee is from tea (or beer from wine; or Coke from 7-Up) — a different beverage. Their interest in coffee is different from mine, and so is the experience.

Anyway, the link is to an article on percolator coffee. It may confirm what others like about it. So I figured I would post it. (No harm or insult intended.)

There is a thread on the Sweet Maria’s e-mail list right now about percolating coffee, btw. That is what attracted my attention.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

I've read that keeping coffee hot creates and increases the concentration of carcinogens. Presumably the same is true of percolating.

Some of the best coffee I've ever had was made in an open jug: hot water poured onto the coffee, stirred and left to stand for a while and poured straight into cups. Superb, and, somehow, the guy who made it managed to pour it so that there was only a slight sludge in the bottom of the cups.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Some of the best coffee I've ever had was made in an open jug: hot water poured onto the coffee, stirred and left to stand for a while and poured straight into cups.
Out here in the high country, people make "camp coffee." I've not done it myself, as there's always someone else around, but it's a way of just pouring the water over filtered grinds at the fireplace. It's surprising how good it is and quick and easy to make. So who wants to find a musty old restaurant?

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I've read that keeping coffee hot creates and increases the concentration of carcinogens. Presumably the same is true of percolating.
As much as I read about cancer and its causes (a lot), I have not seen credible (science-based) articles that blame coffee for cancer in humans.

Many foods contain or produce carcinogens that show up in lab (i.e., rodent) tests. Except for reports of carcinogens in roasted meat, most have no statistically significant effect on human beings. Doesn’t mean there are no carcinogens, of course. We ingest a lot of those, one way or another. (Wasn’t there some fuss about pink peppercorns a few years ago?)

I also do not know about the carcinogenic effect of prolonged heating of coffee. It is a lousy idea in any event — the flavors we like are driven off in the process.

This abstract of The Causes and Prevention of Cancer (Ames & Gold) from U.C. Berkeley helps put the cancer risk of coffee (and other foods) in perspective. The paragraph specifically about coffee appears at the end of the fourth paragraph, but the rest of the article is also interesting.

Quote:
Some of the best coffee I've ever had was made in an open jug: hot water poured onto the coffee, stirred and left to stand for a while and poured straight into cups. Superb, and, somehow, the guy who made it managed to pour it so that there was only a slight sludge in the bottom of the cups.
Actually, that makes perfect sense. It is exactly the way to make coffee in a French press, except that the press makes it easier to avoid the sludge.