DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default Not really a photography question...

When I plug my camera into my Windows XP PC I get a dialog box popping up asking which application I want to use. The application I want to use isn't in the list.

Any idea how I can get Windows to automatically open the application that I do want to use?

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

It should give you the option to browse and choose another program.
On the other hand, some of these downloading applications expect to be running in the system tray, then they can see when you plug in a camera or a card.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

Just seems to provide a list of about 4 programs - couldn't see any way of browsing for others.

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Any idea how I can get Windows to automatically open the application that I do want to use?
I have a little camera that's easy to carry and functions on internal memory. One day it quit downloading automatically; its software was not in the list, and it would not download manually. Later, I discovered if I opened Adobe Photoshop with the camera plugged in, the camera's own software came up simultaneously and downloaded. Somehow Photoshop was blocking the camera's own software. I must have downloaded once from Photoshop and a setting got stuck. If I use other cameras, there is no hitch. But all this is on another computer that I don't use much -- just mainly for graphics or a change of atmosphere, and it has XP Home edition.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: Just seems to provide a list of about 4 programs - couldn't see any way of browsing for others.
Try right-clicking...

Why are you plugging the camera in directly?? That's why the powers that be have made card readers...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Try right-clicking...

Why are you plugging the camera in directly?? That's why the powers that be have made card readers...'-}}
Card readers can be a huge pain on a corporate network. If you forget to disconnect the card reader when you close down (and this happens every day on ours), next time you start up, the network drives can be missing or all confused as to their identities. Trust me. I've done it more than once...

Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: Card readers can be a huge pain on a corporate network.
Ahhh...I guess the question is...does that apply to smaller networks which I would guess Mike has?

I've read some real horror stories about systems getting right royally farkled when hooking up a camera directly which is why I've always avoided it...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Try right-clicking...

Why are you plugging the camera in directly??
Cos it's fixed to the ceiling, of course.

I want to control the camera from the computer.

The manual says I should launch Canon's image browser (which is one of the options in Window's pop-up); using that I launch something else that gives me a couple of choices; I then use that to launch the camera control software. It's a bit like a cookery book telling you how to plant wheat as the first step in making a sponge cake.

All I need to do is launch the camera control software and it works fine. It would be marginally easier to have the camera control software launch automatically when the camera powers up.

At the moment I'm a bit restricted in the amount of experimenting I can do as the batteries only last a few hours when connected to the PC. I'm waiting for a power supply to arrive.

www.welshframing.com
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

Mike - you are quite right that the pop-up dialogue doesn't offer you the option to browse the folder using any new applications when you insert a USB medium. (I hadn't realised till I just tried it!)

You might be able to add a new action by adding the program to the list of actions allowed for a folder (though the camera s/w should really have done this itself!)

The attached screen shot shows the path you have to follow from Tools > Folder Options in Windows Explorer to get to the place where you can do this: but I am not sure which fie type you need to modify - I can see folder and file folder for example.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folderopts.gif
Views:	28
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1349  
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Ahhh...I guess the question is...does that apply to smaller networks which I would guess Mike has?

I've read some real horror stories about systems getting right royally farkled when hooking up a camera directly which is why I've always avoided it...
If the connection is USB, PCs under Win XP will usually just treat the camera exactly like a USB stick. However, I've been in the humiliating position of having to get IT to install the camera software to allow me to download camera photos, only to find out, an hour later, that the trainee's PC, under the same SOE, had just happily allowed her to download all her photos after plugging in the same camera.