DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default EULA-itis and Google (even Chrome?)

Seems there was quite a little to-do over the Chrome EULA yesterday. It was the same one used for other Google services (though an open source browser doesn’t quite seem like a service to me), requiring users to grant a “perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to … any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.”

Well, it turns out to be not so. According to a report in Ars Technica, Google is changing the EULA removing that language as well as retroactive.

Okay, so now it only applies to other Google services. Which ones, exactly? And how? (Guess we need to actually read the things.)

When I started out as a freelance writer, writing contracts usually covered first North American rights. Fair enough. By the end of the 20th century, however, writers’ contracts often asked for the kind of rights Google is now claiming from computer users in its standard EULA. That seemed outrageous to me then and still does.

But it is one thing for writers. In theory at least, they can negotiate with publishers.

How do computer users negotiate with Google? Simply by avoiding their services? Difficult, these days.

Just a rant.