DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
BobRoosth

Default InDesign -- View Many Pages

I am working on a journal containing many ads of various sizes. I need to move the around to close up some holes. It would be most helpful if I could see 6-10 page spreads at a time, but I have not found a way to do it.

This is ID CS3 and I have a 24" display, so there is screen real estate to have lots of small images with the ads still identifiable.

I can do this in Ventura Publisher, so I know how useful it can be.

Have I missed something, or did Adobe?
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
I am working on a journal containing many ads of various sizes. I need to move the around to close up some holes. It would be most helpful if I could see 6-10 page spreads at a time, but I have not found a way to do it.

This is ID CS3 and I have a 24" display, so there is screen real estate to have lots of small images with the ads still identifiable.

I can do this in Ventura Publisher, so I know how useful it can be.

Have I missed something, or did Adobe?
There is a 2X2 thumbnail view available in Print > Preview. I don’t seem to have a multi-page ID file handy to check it. (It may also be accessible from View > Screen Mode > Preview.

Not sure what limitations there are, though.

Good old PageMaker used to allow printing a thumbnail view. Great for the file, and for thinking about places to trim a page, etc. It even let you choose the size (number of spreads across the page).

Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
BobRoosth

Good thought, but previews don't help. I want to be able to drag from page to page. Precise positioning of the dropped object is not important. Being able to see where the holes are is. I can get a column of two page spreads, but that doesn't use the screen very well.

I suppose I could rotate the display.... That is one trick I have yet to get this pony to do.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Good thought, but previews don't help. I want to be able to drag from page to page. Precise positioning of the dropped object is not important. Being able to see where the holes are is. I can get a column of two page spreads, but that doesn't use the screen very well.

I suppose I could rotate the display.... That is one trick I have yet to get this pony to do.
I was afraid of that. It is a shame — thumbnails are really useful.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Howard Allen

How about just zooming? If you've got a big screen, try 20% or so, which should get you 5 or 6 spreads in the window that are big enough to work with. I get that many on my 15-inch MacBook screen. If you want to see more, you could open a second window and use Window/Arrange/Tile Vertically and scroll the second window to see another 6 spreads. A scroll wheel makes it fast to zip up and down through spreads within a window.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
BobRoosth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
If you want to see more, you could open a second window and use Window/Arrange/Tile Vertically
Thanks. I was not aware I could open a new window into the current document. I'd have to do that twice to get what I want, sort of.... The document I am working on is 164 page, so the problem with the multi-window approach is scrolling and keeping track of which pages are in each window.

FWIW, a screenshot from Ventura Publisher is attached. The document shown is not 160 pages, but you see that spreads are in sequence, l to r. Nothing to be done about it unless Adobe adds this in CS4. I am certainly not starting new jobs in Ventura, much as I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VenturaPages.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1337  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Thanks. I was not aware I could open a new window into the current document. I'd have to do that twice to get what I want, sort of.... The document I am working on is 164 page, so the problem with the multi-window approach is scrolling and keeping track of which pages are in each window.

FWIW, a screenshot from Ventura Publisher is attached. The document shown is not 160 pages, but you see that spreads are in sequence, l to r. Nothing to be done about it unless Adobe adds this in CS4. I am certainly not starting new jobs in Ventura, much as I like it.
That is something like the PageMaker one. I really appreciated being able to line up pages in small view and print it.

My father-in-law had a good saying for this: “If you can use it, you can’t have it.” Learned it in four decades of dealing with the administration when he was teaching in a NYC trade school.