DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default MS ClearType fonts for Mac, pre-Vista Windows

Ascender Corp. is offering a 5-seat license to the full set (or individual fonts) from the Microsoft ClearType set in formats for Mac or Windows before Vista. For $300 for the set or $35 the individual.

The ClearType advantage doesn’t work on the Mac nor, I think, on older versions of Windows, but it would allow non-Vista users to see something like what was intended on web sites that use these fonts. And to have Word docs format as they were made.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
John Spragens

Not compatible with QuarkXPress 6.5, they say. Any idea why?

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
Not compatible with QuarkXPress 6.5, they say. Any idea why?
No idea. But it does seem odd. Quark could explain.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
nor, I think, on older versions of Windows
It does work on Windows XP, and might work on Windows 2000, but ClearType is not intended for CRT displays. But they're quite nice fonts, and most of them are easier to read on-screen. Word 2007 & 2008 will embed all the fonts, and all OTF fonts (if they're licenced for embedding), but I'm not sure if the embedding of OTF fonnts works if the file has been converted for viewing by older Office sy stems.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
John Nolan

For a single user, you're better off getting Office 2008, which comes with the fonts. The cost is more or less the same. If you're in a position to upgrade, it's cheaper yet.

It may be that Word 2008 includes the fonts too, I'm not sure.

It could make sense to go with Ascender if you need the fonts for a office, since the Ascender EULA is for 5 seats.
John Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

John:

Quote:
It may be that Word 2008 includes the fonts too, I'm not sure.
Word 2007 does: I upgraded to it last year; you're entitled to the upgrade if you have Office 2000 or later, and for a second computer I upgraded to Office 2007 from Works.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

This thread made me wonder whether there is a Mac equivalent of the Office Compatibility Pack for Windows, which makes the new format and fonts of Office 2007 available to users of previous versions.

I just searched Microsoft's Web site and found the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0. The "Additional Information" section of the Web page says
If Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac is installed on your computer, the following fonts are installed to either /Library/Fonts/Microsoft or /User/username/Library/Fonts/Microsoft.
  • Cambria
  • Calibri
  • Consolas
  • Constantia
  • Corbel
  • Candara
It would not surprise me if the download's license agreement limits the use of the fonts. Someone who can install the package will have to let us know.

Also, the list price for the least expensive version of Office 2008 is $149. This is the Home and Student edition that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage but does not have support for Exchange Server.

Finally, I checked FontMarketplace.com, where Ascender makes one-user licenses available for most of its fonts. The Vista fonts are not offered there.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Also, the list price for the least expensive version of Office 2008 is $149. This is the Home and Student edition that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage

It'd be a good idea to check the license on that as well. IIRC, the home/student editions don't allow using them for commercial purposes and may not qualify for upgrade pricing.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> It'd be a good idea to check the license on that as well. IIRC, the home/student editions don't allow using them for commercial purposes and may not qualify for upgrade pricing.
Good points. I'm pretty sure you're right about the upgrade pricing. Then again, the upgrade price to go from Office 2004 to Office 2008 is more than the cost of the home/student edition of Office 2008. If you don't need the extras in the full version (Microsoft Server Exchange Support and Automator Actions for Workflows in Microsoft Office), you may come out ahead by paying full price for the home/student edition of both the current version of Office and the next.

As for the font license, I agree completely. Anyone planning to use the fonts commercially should fully understand the license agreement. As we've discovered in other threads, that isn't always easy.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thanks for the information about the fonts. I installed the XML thingie and the fonts.

This is what the EULA has to say about rights:
  1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices.
  2. FONT COMPONENTS. While the Office for Mac software is running, you may use its fonts to display and print content. You may only
  • embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts; and
  • temporarily download them to a printer or other output device to help print content.