DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Copyright talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Sorry Kathleen - I borrowed some of your text. Fascinating stuff! Was that the effects of too much coffee or?
Huh? Tell me, what fascinated you? It was just my primitive approach to CSS.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Huh? Tell me, what fascinated you? It was just my primitive approach to CSS.
Not the CSS.
I was just trying to make sense of what I read. Equal measures captivating and confusing!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Not the CSS.
I was just trying to make sense of what I read. Equal measures captivating and confusing!
Ah. It is one of my favorite greeking passages. I use English language text because lorum ipsum doesn’t look or behave like English (hyphenation is a problem, for example).

It is the opening to the second chapter of A Room With a View. Probably a bit mangled by now, as I make paragraphs or change things a bit when I want to achieve something.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
Probably a bit mangled by now
Mangled Forster must be interesting, but E.M. wouldn't be pleased, especially if it were still in copyright (as I think may be).

Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
KT:

Mangled Forster must be interesting, but E.M. wouldn't be pleased, especially if it were still in copyright (as I think may be).
Not in the US, apparently:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2641

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
Not in the US, apparently
So I see: Gutenburg claims it isn't, but see this remark by G.:

'The catalog will tell you if an ebook is copyrighted, but sometimes the catalog is wrong'

My uncertainty was because I didn't remember when Forster died, although the book was published in 1908; I thought USA had joined the Bern(e) Convention, but not until 1989, so as he died in 1970, his heirs (if he had any) it won't be in copyright until 2060, and might only be in England until 2020.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Those are all good questions, and it's also worth wondering exactly how US law applies to an author who's not a US citizen. Books published in the US are one thing but the text of the books themselves? How does the Bern Convention deal with this? Do the signatories have some sort of reciprocity agreement? I'll follow your laws with regard to your guys if you'll follow ours with regard to ours?

In any case, I can't see anyone getting too excited over KT's usage.

And now that I think of it, none of this has much to do with CSS and HTML. It's worthy of a thread of its own, though. Care to set one off in a different section?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
Care to set one off in a different section?
If the managers care to move the thread (from KT's revelation about her greeking habits to the present message) to, say, Publishing Topics, I shouldn't mind.How does one get their attention?

But to answer your question, I think anyone that pubishes anything in a Berne Convention country (that's most countries now) automatically has the copyright in literary works.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:

If the managers care to move the thread (from KT's revelation about her greeking habits to the present message) to, say, Publishing Topics, I shouldn't mind.How does one get their attention?

But to answer your question, I think anyone that pubishes anything in a Berne Convention country (that's most countries now) automatically has the copyright in literary works.
Your wish, their command. At least here, now and this time. (Thanks to [fill in your name here] for moving the thread.) And now I see why Marjolein's response re PM (still in the other thread) made no sense to me.

But as to the question: do all Berne Convention signatories agree to a common set of laws then? For example, that the original copyright lasts for nn years?

Otherwise, while Country A may respect Country B's author's rights, the specific terms might be different. Does the US respect EM's rights in the US as defined by US laws or as defined by UK laws (in the event that they're different, which, cf first question, they may not be.)

Was that twisted enough or should I tie a few more knots in it?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
But as to the question: do all Berne Convention signatories agree to a common set of laws then? For example, that the original copyright lasts for nn years?
I don't know if they do yet, but if not, they're being nudged that way, and I know that some aspects of fairly recent US copyright law have been accepted in the UK—for instance, extending copyright protection to 90 years after the originator's death in the case of literary works.

Looking at the copyright as it existed in the UK when A Room with a View was published (1908), as I understand it (which isn't very well), it seems that EMF's heirs are out of luck, because the UK 1911 Copyright Act wasn't in effect then. Just why, seems a bit complicated; and anyway, USA hadn't joined the Berns Convention when he died, though I think it did belong to the UCC, which was the crowd that looked after things for the Americas.