DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Anna

Default InDesign: Pagemaker doc damaged

"The Pagemaker document is damaged and cannot be recovered."

This is the message I'm suddenly getting from InDesign when trying to open any Pagemaker file in InDesign. I cannot believe that every single Pagemaker doc, including the ones I just created (pretty simple text docs, no graphics) are damaged. The documents open just dandy in Pagemaker.

I'm working on an annual membership directory and, with the people I have helping me, it's easier to index in Pagemaker and then bring those text files into InDesign. Actually, I've been doing the directory in Pagemaker and I'm making my first attempt to finish it off in InDesign this year.

I've been to the Adobe knowledge base and have tried almost all the suggestions listed there: All the updates are in for CS2, all the docs are on a local disk, file formats are not a problem, I've tried opening a copy of several of the docs, re-created the InDesign preference files, startup space is not a problem, deleted temporary files, and I'm sure I have no viruses. I did not adjust the virtual memory settings or disable items that load during startup.

I've even uninstalled/reinstalled both Pagemaker and InDesign. I really don't want to uninstall the whole CS2 if I can find another way.

I know I tried this last year and found that I could bring the Pagemaker files into InDesign without much problem. A little cleanup, I can handle that. I could just do the directory in Pagemaker again, but I was hoping to finally do my largest project in InDesign.

I'm on a PC, Windows XP (SP 3), Pagemaker 7, Creative Suite 2 (with all updates current).

Any suggestions? I'm rather stumped!

Anna

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Sounds weird. Want to attach one of your small PageMaker files here (zip it) to see if I or someone else can get ID to like it?

Assume PM opens its own files without difficult?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Sounds weird. Want to attach one of your small PageMaker files here (zip it) to see if I or someone else can get ID to like it?

Assume PM opens its own files without difficult?
Attached (I hope! ) is a report generated by PM from long ago. I opened it in PM with no problem, but InDesign gave me the same "document damaged" error.

It is very strange. As I said, I tested this out some time ago with no problems. I made the mental note that it worked and then didn't do anything until I needed it. Which would be, of course, now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Report.zip (2.7 KB, 26 views)

Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Attached (I hope! ) is a report generated by PM from long ago. I opened it in PM with no problem, but InDesign gave me the same "document damaged" error.

It is very strange. As I said, I tested this out some time ago with no problems. I made the mental note that it worked and then didn't do anything until I needed it. Which would be, of course, now.
It opened instantly in InDesign CS3, Macintosh (I didn’t retain CS2, but others here may have it). The popup reported it uses Times New Roman, which happened not to be available on my system, and that the tracking had changed.

Bottom line: The file is okay. I was going to offer to send it back to you in CS2 format but see there is no way to save back to an older version. (Tsk!)

Appears this problem has to do with ID or CS2. It would help to have someone else with ID CS2 check that for you. At least find out if the problem is version-related (if no other CS2 user could open the file either).

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Bottom line: The file is okay. I was going to offer to send it back to you in CS2 format but see there is no way to save back to an older version. (Tsk!)

Appears this problem has to do with ID or CS2. It would help to have someone else with ID CS2 check that for you. At least find out if the problem is version-related (if no other CS2 user could open the file either).
And it used to work on my computer, too. I'm thinking some setting somewhere has changed that has confuzzled InDesign. Think it's possible that WinXP Service Pack 3 might have done it? That's the only major change to my system that I can think of. Maybe I oughta' head back to the Adobe Knowledge base and see if they have anything to say about that...

Thanks, Kathleen!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Anna

Aha!!

InDesign CS2 always fails to open Pagemaker 7 files
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b4a5e0

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Breaks InDesign CS2 Pagemaker Conversion Capability
http://indesignsecrets.com/windows-x...capability.php

Now to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I really don't want to upgrade to CS3. I haven't even come close to making CS2 breathe hard...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

I'm using ID 3.01 on an XP/SP2 system and your file opened just fine in ID...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
And it used to work on my computer, too. I'm thinking some setting somewhere has changed that has confuzzled InDesign. Think it's possible that WinXP Service Pack 3 might have done it? That's the only major change to my system that I can think of. Maybe I oughta' head back to the Adobe Knowledge base and see if they have anything to say about that...
Dunno. I see that Terrie (like you, on Windows, unlike me) also had not problem.

Could it be that Bridge thingy Adobe has (I pay no attention to it, so cannot even guess, but maybe it has its little finger in this).

Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
Anna

WinXP Service Pack 3 seems to be the problem, according to the link I found in Adobe forums. Now I need to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I'm working on that now...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
WinXP Service Pack 3 seems to be the problem, according to the link I found in Adobe forums. Now I need to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I'm working on that now...
Don’t you love being “helped” like that?