DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default iMac meltdown

As some of you know, my iMac bit the dust last Thursday. Turned out to be a failure of the power supply. Apple nicely replaced it at no cost (through an excellent authorized service center right here in town), and I picked it up yesterday evening. Everything seems fine.

It goes a tiny bit faster now; I took the opportunity to get two 2GB RAM to replace the two 1GB I had before (I believe this machine only makes use of 3GB but they don’t make 1.5s and Apple recommends using pairs).

They couldn’t tell me what caused the problem. There were two odd events in the couple of weeks before the machine refused to boot last Friday: a loud electrical-sounding buzz lasting a couple of seconds; and waves of thunderstorms last week, including one on Thursday (that hurled icecube-sized blocks of ice at our windows in 70 MPH winds).

The technician said he saw some odd things about the power supply as soon as he opened the computer, but no scorching or other signs of its having experienced a great surge of electricity.

So I will never know. In 24 years of owning Macs this is the first early failure of any sort. My 128K Mac’s power supply failed when it was nearly 5 years old — the screen looked like it was melting. And my second-hand Mac II needed a logic board replacement when it was 4 or 5 because the SCSI system shorted out. Both of those machines earned their failure, and both were cheaply repaired.

Ah, well. I’m back in business. It was an awful weekend — Eudora absolutely would not collect most of my e-mail no matter how I fiddled with the settings. Instead of doing something sensible, like locking up and letting things go until I got the iMac back, I kept trying to fix it. I was being an idiot. Eudora got it all today, no problem.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Drives us nuts when the computer throws a wobbly, doesn't it? It might be worthwhile investing in a UPS (I use an APC Back-UPS on every one of mine).

Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
robin: I use an APC Back-UPS on every one of mine
I had mentioned that I saw an ad in this month's Maximum PC for a new APC UPS to someone the other day...

Here's the info:

Here is the APC page on the UPS...

And this is a promo page (key code from the magazine: c855w) with a $10 off coupon

The model number (here in the US) is BE750G and a lot of places have it for a lot less than $99--buy.com has it for $67.35 (shipping is $18-ish)...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Drives us nuts when the computer throws a wobbly, doesn't it? It might be worthwhile investing in a UPS (I use an APC Back-UPS on every one of mine).
I am definitely looking into UPSes, but am uncertain what I need.

I have downloaded a lot of articles about how to calculate the requirements, and now know for sure never to use a UPS for a laser printer!

But it appears that for my three active computers, plus routers, that the cheap models will not do. One difficulty is that it takes my main Mac ages to shut down. Every single app has to quit, and several of them take quite a while to do that. Illustrator and Eudora are especially slow, but others are not far behind.

Force quitting is always an option, but then might as well just pull the plug, and then live with all the little catastrophes.

But it is definitely on my mind.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thanks. I remembered that and searched today but couldn’t find where you had mentioned that.

The model you mentioned is almost certainly not powerful? enduring? enough for me and my little team of computers, routers, etc. I figure I need at least 15 minutes to shut down and quit the two main computers (the third is really just for messing with old file types), and that small APC device for the amount of power these machines draw would last only about 5 minutes.

I think. Or maybe I should say I guess. Anyway, I found some useful PDFs for calculating requirements for Macs, and I mean to make Jack figure it out for me tout-de-suite! <g>

It looks as if a $250 APC UPS (BR1500) might do. It is supposed to provide 15 minutes of power at half load (432.5 watts). Or only 5 minutes at full power.

After that, it costs more like $400. So I need to figure out my requirements.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Every budget year, I ask for a UPS for the little server room next to the room where I work.

Every year, when preparing my budget requirements, I ask my mate in Technology Services whose job it is to know about these things to come over and calculate my requirements so I can ask for the right UPS. He carefully calculates the power requirements of every single element in the room – CPUs, monitors, routers, modems, switches, basically every single thing that draws any power at all – adds them all up, asks me how long I need to keep all that running, and tells me what level of UPS I need.

So there are two figures you need – the total power requirement and the time you need that power requirement to be satisfied by the UPS you purchase.

Good luck. I'm still waiting for my UPS. In the meantime, we've replaced repurposed PCs with proper servers, and the building has installed and tested (what fun that was!) an instant kick-in diesel power generator, so the UPS is less urgent than it was. But I still ask for one every year. And I still get knocked back every year.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Well, I have a smaller committee! <g>

Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Cristen Gillespie

> Turned out to be a failure of the power supply. Apple nicely replaced it at no cost (through an excellent authorized service center right here in town),

They should. They had to extend warranty on iMacs (for those who hadn't bought Apple Care) for that problem. Mine bit the dust no more than a month or so after my extended Apple Care expired, and having bought that, of course I wasn't eligible for a free extension since they didn't add the time on to the end of warranty.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Well, I have a smaller committee! <g>
Love it!
You might find it considerably cheaper to buy a couple of smaller units instead. Mind you, my 500VA at home happily runs a PC with two large LCDs, and a Mac mini with one, all connected to the back-up sockets on the APC. The router's on it as well, but the two printers are plugged into the APC's surge-only socket. I don't need more than a minute or two's batter power, since I'm not running server software and we don't get power failures at home (touch wood), but that's enough to deal with surges and brown-outs.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
I am definitely looking into UPSes
If you suspect a thunderstorm of over loading the supply side of your power pack (as you seem to), remember that there are plenty of anti-overload devices that are much cheaper than the cheapest UPS. If you are fairly sure of the continuity of your electricity supply, just plug in your computer to an anti-overload socket.