DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 AM   #1
Adrian

Default InDesign CS and Suitcase 10.2

Hi!

I'm just starting to use InDesign CS under MacOSX. I have Suitcase 10.2 installed, but when I start using InDesign I seem to have about 100 fonts available, rather than the seven I have open in Suitcase. I can't find anything in the InDesign manual about font management. Is there any way I can "remove" these other fonts and get InDesign to recognise only the fonts I have open in Suitcase?

I'm brand new to InDesign (we're in the process of moving over from Quark 4.1), and relatively new to Suitcase 10 and OSX (having used Suitcase 3 under OS8.6).

Best wishes, Adrian
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
I'm just starting to use InDesign CS under MacOSX. I have Suitcase 10.2 installed, but when I start using InDesign I seem to have about 100 fonts available, rather than the seven I have open in Suitcase. I can't find anything in the InDesign manual about font management. Is there any way I can "remove" these other fonts and get InDesign to recognise only the fonts I have open in Suitcase?
Isn’t that annoying?!!

Adobe dumps a bunch of fonts into your system, and they show up in ID, Illustrator, etc. You can move them to an Adobe fonts folder somewhere, and open them (if you want to) with Suitcase.

The fonts are stored in the OS X root > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Fonts. (I would leave in the folder labeled Reqrd, however.)

Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Adrian

Isn’t that annoying?!! -- Yes it is!

Kathleen, many thanks for that. I shall go on the hunt immediately. I knew that there should be an Adobe font folder somewhere, but the one I found in the InDesign folder was empty!

Incidentally, it says in the manual that any fonts moved into the (empty) fonts folder will be picked up and used by InDesign. Is this a better way of working than using Suitcase -- moving them in and out on a job basis?

Best wishes, Adrian
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
… it says in the manual that any fonts moved into the (empty) fonts folder will be picked up and used by InDesign. Is this a better way of working than using Suitcase -- moving them in and out on a job basis?
Probably depends on how you like to work. I like short font lists — nearly impossible these days, as I need to have web-useful fonts open all the time. So I am even stingier when working on a project — try to keep just the fonts I am actually using open/active. Most projects involve more than ID (or Adobe apps), so that folder idea wouldn’t be that useful, anyway. (Illustrator has its own Fonts folder, btw — more surprise fonts!)

Auto-activation takes care of some of that, with recurring projects anyway. Then I just go turn on any other particular fonts as I need them.

Dragging fonts in and out of folders would drive me crazy. But some people like it.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
djb

You should upgrade your copy of Suitcase to the latest (11.0.4), particularly if you are using "auto activate".
djb is offline   Reply With Quote