DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
helene silverman

Default CS3 leading kink driving me crazy

Randomly, or so it seems, when there is a return at the end of a paragraph, the leading of the last line is off. The only way to correct that is to lose the return, which sometimes just can't be done. But it only happens sometimes and I can't figure out what might be different the times it does happen. Anyone with the answer will earn my lifelong gratitude.
—Helene
helene silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helene silverman View Post
Randomly, or so it seems, when there is a return at the end of a paragraph, the leading of the last line is off. The only way to correct that is to lose the return, which sometimes just can't be done. But it only happens sometimes and I can't figure out what might be different the times it does happen. Anyone with the answer will earn my lifelong gratitude.
What application?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
helene silverman

sorry, Indesign.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
sorry, Indesign.
That little habit has also bothered me, both in PageMaker and in InDesign.

It sounds as if you are using Auto leading and have more than one leading in the last line. ID resolves this by honoring the larger. There can be several different causes of this — including oddities in placed text from Word or other formatting program.

Do you use style sheets? Do you display the “invisible” characters (the paragraph sign at the end of each para, for example) — that makes it easier to see what is going on.

Applying styles religiously to all text should prevent this problem. If you do cut and paste from other apps, or edit selections in the text, make sure you pick up all the characters, including the paragraph mark at the end of each paragraph.

To see if this is what’s happening, click within the paragraph, note the leading for that, then select the paragraph mark and see if it’s the same. If not, you can also resize that mark.

Good practices should avert this problem: Always clear Word styles and assign ID styles to all text; never use Auto leading (always assign a specific value in the style sheet); and use Place, not paste, to bring text into the ID layout.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
helene silverman

Well I wish it were as simple as that. I never use auto leading, use style sheets, etc. I am a very knowledgeable designer, I do editorial work and books. It is a crazy quirk, and there is an answer somewhere. Thanks for trying!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Well I wish it were as simple as that. I never use auto leading, use style sheets, etc. I am a very knowledgeable designer, I do editorial work and books. It is a crazy quirk, and there is an answer somewhere. Thanks for trying!
I wish it were that simple too.

Do check the paragraph sign leading versus the main text, though; maybe ID is doing this some way, but at least then you can fix it without forcing a return.

This also happened in PageMaker; before I figured out to check the marker, I would force a return then go to the front of the following para and back up a line. Very annoying!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
helene silverman

I think you just solved this, I"ve never checked the leading of a PP sign before, and it just fixed it. No wonder my friend Norman Hathaway is always talking about what a genius you are. THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY!!. You are brilliant, thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I think you just solved this, I"ve never checked the leading of a PP sign before, and it just fixed it. No wonder my friend Norman Hathaway is always talking about what a genius you are. THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY!!. You are brilliant, thanks.
Oh, good! Now I can go fix dinner. <g>

As for Norman, if he thinks I’m such a genius, why doesn’t he pop in more often? We could use a touch of his acerbic wit.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
helene silverman

I'll let him know, he's pretty busy these days, but will be happy to hear this. Happy dinner.

hs
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I filter everything through BBEdit and use styles religiously, but still encounter the problem. Copying and pasting paragraph markers from other paragraphs with the same style sometimes solves the problem, but not always.

It's always the last paragraph in a story for me and I have a feeling it's something to do with the end of story marker. Like Helene, I am driven crazy by the intermittent nature of the problem, which seems to have a life of its own and only surface when I'm under deadline.