DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 06-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Ashlie

Default Quark to PDF issues

I need to save a flyer that was created in Quark to a PDF for the printer (press). I am having a problem that I can't seem to solve and it's driving me insane!!! The Quark file appears to be fine (printed from my desktop printer) but when I export it as a PDF it shifts the images inside the frame leaving a small gap at the top and the right side of two out of three images where the background color shows through. I cannot figure out why. No matter what I try to adjust in Quark, I keep having the same problem. Both of the images are larger than the actual frame so I just don't get it. Something must be going wrong in the conversion process. After checking multiple settings, I can't seem to find one that would adjust the images in this way. The file was originally created years ago in Quark 6, I believe. I have Quark 7. I am working on a PC and I have Windows XP. Any ideas???

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
dogmandouglas

Hi there Ashlie

Are your pictures "modified" and need updating? If they are "modified" they need to be updated before your export, because they will update theyselves and this could cause the pictures to shift in the box.

Try making a new picture box and importing the pictures again, then click on the old box and write down all the co-ords and then delete the old box and enter the co-ords into the new box.

I had trouble with a .psd file which wouldn't export properly and that method worked for me.

Have you tried printing to postscript and distilling the postscript file in Acrobat distiller?

If you were on a Mac you could double click the postscript file and the Mac will convert the postscript file to a pdf.
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Ashlie

The pictures are all updated. I actually decided to change one of the pictures and when I imported the new one it was fine. Then for the other one, I created a new picture box and re-imported the picture. Now it is fine at the top and on the right but the PDF has moved the picture up slightly leaving that gap at the bottom. I have not tried printing to postscript and distilling the postcript file in Acrobat distiller. I don't know what this means or how to do it.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
dogmandouglas

Hi Ashlie

If you have successfully imported one of the pictures and it's working fine, it could be that there is something wrong with image file of the other picture.

Open up the second picture in Photoshop (or whatever graphic app you have), crop all white space from image and save it down as a different name and import that graphic.

With these type of problems, unfortunately you find that you end up chasing the most trivial of things just to make sure that everything is right.

On the subject of postscript. If you want to print (save) to postscript you must have a postscript printer driver loaded (you don't have to have a printer attached). You do everything as if you are going to print to a device then find the button that says "save file", name the file and press Save. You then end up with a .ps file which can either be distiller through Acrobat distiller which converts the file into a pdf (you have more control this way). If it's a single page you can open the .ps file up in illustrator and save the file to pdf.

Doug
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote