DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
tuoni

Quote:
How many copies of each book and issue are you planning to print? Unless you're looking at very small print runs, you'll find it cheaper to find a commercial printer to do them for you.
At first I thought of using a commercial printer to do them for me, but became interested in doing it myself, being somewhat of a technology geek! This is a service for amateur mangaka (manga artists) and it would be based around a web store. So once an artist has received a minimum of orders, I print the book/magazine. Since this is amateur work it will probably be short works, and the maximum is 97 pages (including covers and info page, 94+3).

Quote:
If you're planning to print the manga books yourself, I assume you have some sort of imposition program that can handle the back-to-front format?
I will actually be using Photoshop to edit/print the books, and maybe Scribus for the magazines, although Photoshop would suffice for that as well.

Quote:
You also have to allow for bleed and trimming, so the paper you buy will need to be oversize – not something you can get easily at office suppliers. And your printer will also have to be able to handle it.
The EPL-N2550 has a 4 mm bleed edge, so that's no big deal, the content doesn't have to be all the way out to the edge.

Quote:
Also, what do you plan to do about cover printing, binding and trimming? If your magazines are 80 pages or less, you can probably get away with saddle stitching, but the manga books, even though thin, should be perfect-bound.
That would be problem, one that may force me to use a commercial printer, unless I find some equipment for doing it myself.

Quote:
The manga books I see are printed on very poor quality paper.
I guess there are differences between publishers...