DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
RJ Emery

Default Help Needed With JPG Image

I have a badly scanned image of a sailor whose photo I wish to improve. The effort, however, is beyond my abilities and software. I seek help from any expert or volunteer in reworking this photo into something more presentable. It is not possible to rescan the original image.

The photo can be downloaded from
http://rjemery.googlepages.com/USNSailor.jpg

Thanks.

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I wish I could take this on, but my situation prevents it now. OTOH, you could join retouchpro.com. There you could ask for help, or find out from staff if you can present it in one of their challenges. A challenge is where everyone tries to fix the same picture, as a way to learn more about doing this.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
RJ Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I wish I could take this on, but my situation prevents it now. OTOH, you could join retouchpro.com. There you could ask for help, or find out from staff if you can present it in one of their challenges. A challenge is where everyone tries to fix the same picture, as a way to learn more about doing this.
I'm glad to know of retouchpro.com, but the site doesn't permit anyone to register with my e-mail domain (gmail.com). Since I don't have an ISP, I am out of luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
iamback

Why not just sign up for another email service? gmail isn't the only game in town, and you don't need an ISP to provide email service. Are there any other services they exclude?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
RJ Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Why not just sign up for another email service? gmail isn't the only game in town, and you don't need an ISP to provide email service. Are there any other services they exclude?
It's not just gmail. It's any web based email provider (yahoo, hotmail, msn, etc.). The site owner only wants registrants who have an ISP based e-mail address, and since I use public domain WiFi for my Internet access, that leaves me out in the cold.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
rj: The site owner only wants registrants who have an ISP based e-mail address, and since I use public domain WiFi for my Internet access, that leaves me out in the cold.
I'd forgotten about that and it pissed me off so much that I had him unregister me after I'd used one of his "approved" providers. I thought it was just a stupid rule and decided that retouchpro couldn't offer that much to me that living without it would be a loss...'-}}

That is one NASTY!!! scan...I'm in the middle of a project so I'm sorry I can't help...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Oh, I'm suprised to hear that. I guess people are still doing this. In that case, try the forum at innographx.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Howard Allen

It's a pretty brutal scan, alright--reminds me of a bunch I had to deal with recently in a submission for a newsletter article. I think a competent hand could do something with it, though. I just messed around with it for about 15 minutes in Photoshop and got this (see attached). (BTW, I'm not a "competent hand".)

The JPEG artifacts (basketweave/mosaic effect) can be eradicated with the Gaussian blur tool applied to the whole image. The sailor's head seems to be distorted (too wide), so I changed the pixel aspect ratio to 0.8. It still seems a bit distorted to me, but it could be partly an optical illusion caused the angle of his cap. I changed the colorspace to 8-bit grey since it's a black and white photo; that got rid of the weird colors (chromatic aberration?) and reduced the size of the file. I tweaked the contrast a bit by bringing up the shadows, then used the healing brush tool to get rid of a lot of the dust specks on his face, cap and tunic. I used the blur tool on the background to soften the speckly appearance. Finally, I gave it some unsharp mask to sharpen the face up a bit after the Gaussian blur step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailor retouched.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1281  

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Howard Allen

Hmmm...I see the pixel aspect ratio didn't "take" in the saved file. I guess if I were a "competent hand," I would have known that!

Maybe one of the gurus can explain how to fix dimensional distortions.

OSX 10.10.5
Old 05-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Howard Allen

OK, got it. Used Image Size to squeeze the image horizontally (changed the width from 2.02 inches to 1.75 inches, keeping height the same). Then tweaked diagonally, using the Shear tool (Filter/Distort/Shear...). I had to crop a bit after this operation. Now his head looks a little less distorted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailor retouched3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1282  

OSX 10.10.5