DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Have at it! New photo blog for review

OK guys - I've been fiddling about for weeks designing a new blog for some of my photos. I think it's time to come out of the broom cupboard and ask you to tell me what you like and don't like. Comments are not possible for now, though I may enable them later once it's properly live.

See what you think - no hurry, as I'm just about to log off for the long May bank holiday weekend.

http://lois.co.uk/blog

I've made is reasonably accessible, though there are still problems with the heading hierarchy for instance - although the code is partly separated from the presentation, far too much is hard-wired for my liking. But as it's open source, I don't really expect anything better - and it was free except for my time! And I am sure you will find other things too.

I need to add skip links for one thing, as the navigation comes before the content. I did that for a reason - though I can't think why now. I should probably change the floats in the CSS to have the content first - d'oh.

Anyway - see what you think about how it looks, and the content of course! (I just picked some photos to link from the home page as a taster to draw people in: the intention is that most will be accessible via the links at the right once there is more content.)

Have a good weekend, all.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I think it looks wonderful...photos are lovely and I like that you've described how/where/when the photos were shot...love the dormouse quote...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
I need to add skip links for one thing, as the navigation comes before the content. I did that for a reason - though I can't think why now. I should probably change the floats in the CSS to have the content first - d'oh.
Probably not. One good reason to have navigation links first in the text stream is that it's so common now that everybody has come to expect it, even people relying on screenreaders and skip links. But if you put it at the end, you'll have to add a "skip to navigation" link anyway, which not only can cause more confusion (careful how you word that!) but doesn't actually gain you anything in accessibility.

But what you do need to do is add decent alt texts - the very first thing I did on going to the page was right-click on one photo (thumbnail) and check properties (in Fx) - which tells me it's blank. That is wrong for a photo on a photo blog (where it's real content, not decoration: all your photos are content so all of them need alt texts), but it's even more wrong because the thumbnail photo actually is an image link, which requires alt text. Having a title attribute is fine, of course, but it doesn't in anyway replace the role of the alt attribute.

When I click through, I get a layout problem: it doesn't work very well when the browser window is 800px wide (don't forget those windows - keep them open!). See screenhot. It would be better if the sidebar moved to below the main content in such cases, rather than pushing the main content down below the fold. That's an accessibility problem of a different kind.

For keyboard access the focus outlines could be a bit more obvious - in some places they are hard to see now, and in some places miss top & bottom (I haven't checked why, I need more practice spotting actual causes of such problems, but I suspect margins or maybe line-height ).

So... you mentioned accessibility.

As to content, lovely photos and interesting texts (do proofread a bit, I spotted at least one typo) - I'd love to see more.

As to design, I think the blue of the links rather clashes with the blues in the banner (and the headings which color does coordinate with the banner). maybe a complementary color?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap01162.png
Views:	53
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1279  

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
George

My only impression is, that the layout and color are truly marvelous. But then, doesn't that just make it typically British? Hmm--no, I think it's marvelous and unique. But, I wonder where the British do acquire such a precise sense of layout. That's OK; it can be a mystery.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
OK guys - I've been fiddling about for weeks designing a new blog for some of my photos. I think it's time to come out of the broom cupboard and ask you to tell me what you like and don't like. Comments are not possible for now, though I may enable them later once it's properly live.

See what you think - no hurry, as I'm just about to log off for the long May bank holiday weekend.

http://lois.co.uk/blog
Beautiful! I like it.

I have been meaning to post a few pictures of flowering street trees in my neighborhood, but I haven't gotten that famous round tuit. I will. The pink blossoms are petals on the sidewalk, but the photos are in my digital camera, awaiting download. Last winter I posted a snow picture, and I was amazed at the variety of comments. Everyday scenes for me are unexpected treats for others.

That said, your countryside is beautiful, your photography is excellent, and this blog is a great idea. Of course, I am something of an Anglophile anyway, but I suspect that photos of Queensland or Iowa would also be of interest to me.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 05-03-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Shorten the quote.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Your photos are fantastic. I especially love the abstract oats picture, just because it is so unexpected. But they are all great.

The site has some layout problems. It seems to want me to view it in a horizontal window, about 900 pixels wide. In that arrangement, I see two rows of three thumbnails, and the whole page makes a lot of sense.

But I prefer portrait windows, a bit narrower than 800 pixels wide (so I can get two browsers up next to each other). When I view your site that way, I get one column of four pictures and another of two. That would be okay, I guess, but the varying heights of the pictures forces a gap in the second column.

I suspect that is not an effect you like.

I will attach a screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lois-blog.png
Views:	51
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1280  

Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

The photos are very good, and the photos + narration is world-quality. The pair of the oaks was my favorite, I think.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
It seems to want me to view it in a horizontal window . . . But I prefer portrait windows
There is a problem either way: the individual photos are in ‘landscape’ view (appropiate, since they are mainly views of landscape) and it is fitting that, grouped, there are two rows of three, and that arrangement suits the usual landscape mode of monitors; but I myself have my monitor in ‘portrait’ mode, so it would suit me better to have the whole page in the same mode, but, if I wanted to view two browsers, one above the other . . .

Old 05-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
iamback

Exactly what I'm seeing, too - my windows are always 800px wide, and as yours, portrait mode.

One possible solution to this problem of the photo arrangement (if it is one) is to wrap each in a square div (so each takes up the same amount of space, whether landscape or portraint), and then float all those divs - they'll arrange themselves according to space available.

You can actually build whole fluid layouts that way.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
cdanddvdpublisher

Great lookin' site.

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote