DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
iamback

Default Yes, GoDaddy are a reseller for .nu domains - and they hide it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
So GoDaddy is a reseller of Key-Systems GmbH?? And hide this from me by showing me as technical contact? Odd.
What I did was send an email to .NU Domain Ltd customer support - deliberately not from any of the email addies I use for domain registrations, and not mentioning the domain in question. This is what I wrote:

Quote:
A question about .nu registrations:

I have a .nu domain registered with GoDaddy. There, I show as both
Administrative, and Technical contact, and the domain is locked.

When I look up the same domain in your whois, it shows up with someone at Key-Systems GmbH as technical contact, and record status Active, instead of locked.

I made a change today, and your whois does show that the last update was today.

Can you explain what's going on here? Is there a mistake in your whois or is GoDaddy hiding something from me?
Just now I received their reply:
Quote:
Hello,

GoDaddy is a reseller to Key-Systems. Key-Systems is the Registrar.

The .NU Whois at, http://whois.nic.nu/anydomainname.nu, is only publishing the Registrar contact information. The .NU Whois does not show that the name is locked.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
.NU Domain Ltd
Customer Support

Thank you for choosing .NU
There is absolutely nothing to be found on the GoDaddy site about them being a reseller for .nu domains (while Namecheap are quite clear they are a reseller for Enom, and I looked there as well to compare prices).

I don't mind in principle going through a reseller, as I know this can (with bulk contracts in the background) lead to lower prices. But I don't like this information to be hidden from me.

One little niggle left: the domain I registered through Namecheap does show the status as "locked" when I look it up via the nic.nu whois.

I guess my next action is to ask GoDaddy support whether they "forgot" to transfer the "locked" status to Key-Systems GmbH...

Meanwhile I have official confirmation that existing .nu domains can't be transferred to Namecheap.
I'd do it right now if I could.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote