DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
iamback

Default I thought I'd seen it all...

I still collect them, the various types of 419 scam emails (which of course includes the "lottery" type, operated by the very same gangs). Just to see if some new variant pops up.

Most is just same old, same old: bad English, frequent ALL CAPS, dead colonels and plane crashes with no survivors but bank accounts left behind. Or "national" lotteries and "promos" run by big companies (the Microsoft one has worn out, now it's car companies, phone companies, and even Yahoo!) with trust-inspiring names like Mrs. Rose and Mr. Williams to contact to claim your prize.

They must have discovered my Yahoo mail address (and spread it around a bit), since the offers come in droves lately. I could have retired a hundred times.

And just when I thought I'd seen it all, I get a brand-new format that I've never seen before! (Though it's still one of those "your email has won".) Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap01154.png
Views:	84
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1278  

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

I've not seen that one either. Mailfoundry has not let me read any spam at all just lately; perhaps I should set up an unfiltered account just to get a spamfix.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Haven't seen that one!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Haven't seen that one!
Me, neither. Haven’t seen any of those things, any flavor, in a long time. Probably because I no longer get my CompuServe mail.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
I've not seen that one either.
Just to clarify what may not be obvious from the screenshot: the mail body was totally empty!

Yahoo manages to sort about a third of them into the "bulk" folder, which isn't too bad. I'm not inundated, and rarely get any other spam there. Do these folks know I'm collecting this stuff?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Sheesh ... will we ever reach the bottom of the barrel?

But look at it this way: If they were bright, they'd be *writing* software to send out spam and selling it to morons. This is from one of the morons. (you'd figured that out for yourself, I'm sure <g>)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Sheesh ... will we ever reach the bottom of the barrel?
Bottom? Is there a bottom?

Quote:
But look at it this way: If they were bright, they'd be *writing* software to send out spam and selling it to morons. This is from one of the morons. (you'd figured that out for yourself, I'm sure <g>)
Actually, I'm quite cynical about these people. They're very, very clever in making it seem they're not. The all caps and spelling mistakes are part of that, and small variations on that theme. I think this is simply another one, though a little bit less small.

Another option is that having an empty body might fool some anti-spam software (or it's an experiment to find out if it helps). But my money's on the former option.

It's all part of their devilishly clever social engineering. Someone's who's stupid can't be dangerous, right?

And they continue to 'catch' people, too.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Oh god, I HOPE there's a bottom. Somewhere. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

Wow, that is amazing. I've never received one of those.

But I did get a new kind of spam last week -- an e-mail from someone at the FBI assuring me that a recent message I'd received was legit -- they had reviewed the case carefully and it was perfectly safe for me to provide my bank account details to the people who had zillions of dollars they wanted to give me. And the FBI conveniently provided the contact info again.

How thoughtful of them.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #10
iamback

Nice... I suppose you didn't keep that? Just in case you do, I'd appreciate a copy (full headers and all).