DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Clayton

Default PDFs in WinXP Thumbnail View

Sometimes I get no thumbnail for my PDFs when I use WinXP Windows Explorer, "thumbnail" view. I get a generic "A" pdf instead. I use the same process for creating these PDFs:

1. Open blank Word doc

2. Import one jpg image of an online form (4x6 inch)

3. Below it, import one jpg image downloaded from digital camera (4x6 inch)

4. Print page to Acro 6 printer

Sometimes the resulting PDF will have a thumbnail visible in WinEx, sometimes just a "A"dobe icon instead.

Can somebody maybe help me by telling me what determines whether the Windows Explorer can create a thumbnail or just an icon for PDFs?
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Shot in the dark: have you previously opened the "thumbnail-enhanced" ones in Acrobat but not the thumbnail-challenged ones?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Clayton

Hi Steve,

I was going to attach an example of each but I cannot find ANY pdf file that shows up as a thumbnail - only as a PDF icon.

I guess I was dreaming or something, but I've checked using Windows Explorer, Irfanview, and PowerDesk. Nuttin' doin'. PDFs do not show up as thumbnails.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'm not sure if this is good news or bad, but you weren't dreaming. I just went to a folder with some PDFs and they did have thumbnails (assuming I set Exploder to thumbnail view).

XP SP2, lots of RAM (in case that matters).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Clayton

Hmmmm. I'm not sure either!! Okay, I'll search deeper into the bowels of my HD and see if I can't locate a PDF that contains a thumbnail. Then I'll have something to work from. Maybe you can check your file that shows a thumbnail and let me know which version PDF it is and possibly which version Acrobat created it?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Sure ... it's PDF v 1.5 (in other words, Acrobat 5 level) but was created by Jaws PDF Creator.

I'm off the Acrobat upgrade merry-go-round for now. Too much money, too much bloat, too little value (to me, that is) and too many bugs.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Clayton

Tried using Jaws, but no soap. No thumbnail either.

And you're right. Not only Acrobat, but it seems quite a few programs suffer from feature-bloat. I use MS Office 2000 and don't see any reason to upgrade. Same for Photoshop 7, CorelDraw 12. If I use 10% of each of their capabilities I'm doing good.

Just can't wait until some future Windows operating system breaks these old standbys permanently <GR&D> AFAIC, WinXP does everything I need and is a helluva lot better than Vista...
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

And you're right. Not only Acrobat, but it seems quite a few programs suffer from feature-bloat. I use MS Office 2000 and don't see any reason to upgrade. Same for Photoshop 7, CorelDraw 12. If I use 10% of each of their capabilities I'm doing good.

Just can't wait until some future Windows operating system breaks these old standbys permanently <GR&D> AFAIC, WinXP does everything I need and is a helluva lot better than Vista...
I checked other PDFs from other sources (different Acrobat/Distiller versions, even some from a beta of Office 2007). Everything has a thumbnail. You might want to check your Windows Explorer options (Tools, View I thinK?) to see if that's the culprit.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

If it works great, don't upgrade it, especially if it costs plenty.

I wanted to get back to Paint Shop Pro 6, and I found a legal copy on eBay. It is hard to imagine what software will work on MS Vista, but not on Windows XP, but I suppose someone (maybe Microsoft) might achieve that distinction.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
It is hard to imagine what software will work on MS Vista, but not on Windows XP, but I suppose someone (maybe Microsoft) might achieve that distinction.
There certainly is software that will work on WinXP but not on Win2K, so it's not really hard to imagine there will be software that requires Vista, specifically because it's not just a UI "upgrade" but its guts were considerably changed as well.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote