DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
iamback

Default Help! How do I write a quote?

Gosh, I'm such a commercial newbie. (I need some fast education in this.)

I'm going to give this Accessibility Masterclass/Workshop this Friday (oy!) and I'm hard at work to get all my material together. We've already agreed, by email, on a fee.

Now I get an email that the organization wants a "quote" (offerte) for this (to be sent to an email address). I know what that is, of course - but I have no idea really how to formulate such a thing.

Could anyone give me sort of a template how to formulate such a thing? (Sort of like yesterday, too - not that I'm in a hurry, but it'd better be in their hands before I turn up for it...) I have email (of course) and OpenOffice.org. In case that matters.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I'm going to give this Accessibility Masterclass/Workshop this Friday (oy!) and I'm hard at work to get all my material together. We've already agreed, by email, on a fee.

Now I get an email that the organization wants a "quote" (offerte) for this (to be sent to an email address). I know what that is, of course - but I have no idea really how to formulate such a thing.
How odd. When I was teaching and speaking the contract (which is what I would call your “quote”) was proffered to me, not the other way around. But the advantage is to the contract writer, so why not? If you are not talking about a long-term arrangement, you shouldn’t need a lawyer to figure out what to say.

The main issue for speaking/teaching is the fee, but that is already agreed upon. I assume you are an independent contractor, so that could be stated. Time, time span, responsibilities you are willing to assume. Retention of copyrights, if that is an issue. Limit to the project (you are not obliged to help people after or outside the session, for example). Who provides any needed materials or equipment, and on what basis.

I used to look for contract advice to the Graphic Artists Guild, so I searched and found the HTML Writers Guild with a FAQ on contracts. Maybe you can start there. The site includes links to contracts that you can copy or crib from and other useful-looking stuff.

Or have I gone off on the wrong tangent?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
How odd. When I was teaching and speaking the contract (which is what I would call your “quote”) was proffered to me
If it is an organization that Marjolein is dealing with, it probably wants a formal offer of services from her, which it will then formally accept; it is just to show that everything is above board, so that it does not get questioned if (or when) there is an audit. Otherwise she just has to put down in black and white what has been previously discussed, but possibly with a different person.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
How odd. When I was teaching and speaking the contract (which is what I would call your “quote”) was proffered to me, not the other way around. But the advantage is to the contract writer, so why not? If you are not talking about a long-term arrangement, you shouldn’t need a lawyer to figure out what to say.
No, this is a one-off situation. But it's not all that odd given the situation: it's a student's festival, highlighting living/studying together with people (students) with various impairments. They have no money - everything has to come from a small gruop of sponsors. So the organizers will need something to put to their sponsors to say: this is what she's asking for. (Never mind that we already agreed on that - the money has to come from elsewhere.)

Quote:
The main issue for speaking/teaching is the fee, but that is already agreed upon. I assume you are an independent contractor, so that could be stated. Time, time span, responsibilities you are willing to assume. Retention of copyrights, if that is an issue. Limit to the project (you are not obliged to help people after or outside the session, for example). Who provides any needed materials or equipment, and on what basis.
OK, that sounds like a good starting point. Some things I wouldn't even have thought of to state... I'll publish the slides under a CC (not commercial, share-alike) license; I wouldn't mind some questions afterwards (via the web page I set up for it), but for a limited time only, and no obligation - when I think it's enough I'll just close that down.

Quote:
I used to look for contract advice to the Graphic Artists Guild, so I searched and found the HTML Writers Guild with a FAQ on contracts. Maybe you can start there. The site includes links to contracts that you can copy or crib from and other useful-looking stuff.
Ah, good old HWG. Never thought of that. I gave a very quick glance over that page, it looks useful. If I get stuck I'll be back here!

Quote:
Or have I gone off on the wrong tangent?
Not at all - thanks a lot. I'll have to learn this sort of stuff - it doesn't help that I don't like it!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
George

Date:
Title of Session:
Outline of what is covered and what happens:
Next Date:
Next Location:
Title of Next Session:
Outline of what is covered and what happens:
Next Date:
etc. etc.

Note on fee and expenses

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I use MYOB for accounting purposes, and it includes a Quote template that looks like an invoice, so you could use that format, which ensures your details and the details of the organisation are included.

Then, as George says, in the description, you describe what you supply for the price stated in the quotation. That price should also show a breakdown of the agreed price wrt tax (so the beancounters at the client don't worry about being charged tax or other extras on top of what they think they're paying for the whole thing).

It's basically just a document that sets out all the information about you and your charges beforehand to avoid nasty surprises when the invoice arrives.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

FWIW, quite a few accounting programs here allow you to create quotes. Basically they're just like a bill only they say "Quote" at the top instead of "Invoice" and they're not really included in the normal accounting processes until you convert them to an invoice/bill later.

In other words, you can probably send them something that looks like a bill but has "Quote" at the top instead.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
iamback

Ann, what's "MYOB"?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Ann, what's "MYOB"?
A line of small-business accounting packages. The letters stand for “mind your own business,” which is also their slogan.

The link is to the U.S. division, which no longer calls its products MYOB (though the company name remains). When I bought it many years ago, it was just MYOB. They do not have a Dutch division, but you can select U.K. or others from the home page if you’re interested enough to look further.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
A line of small-business accounting packages. The letters stand for “mind your own business,” which is also their slogan.
Ah.

Well, guess what - I just found a free, Open source (GPL) accounting package: osFinancials - with over 10,000 registered users, and an active community. Sounds like it might fit the bill (pun not intended )!

(Before, I found something else (Dutch) that looks nice - portable, even - but the basic package already costs €249.)

So, I'll try osFinancials. Windows only, but eventually I'l lhave (a) Windows on my MacBook as well.

And... for a really quick solution (I need really, really quick) - I found some free OpenOffice Calc templates as well. Don't know if any are usable for the Netherlands though.