DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default New LG 22" LCD Monitor

Yesterday I bought a new 22" LCD wide screen monitor to replace my wife's unreliable and small Dell LCD monitor. I have it hooked up to her computer, but I intend to trade it off for my somewhat smaller LG Flatron monitor this weekend.

Both of these monitors can accept digital video, but I have both connected as analog video because only one of my computers has a digital video output. My difficulty with using that output is that I have a Belkin KVM switch on my two WinXP Pro computers. To change to digital, I would need a digital video card for my older computer, and also a KVM switch which can handle digital instead of analog video. So far, the KVM switches with that capability that I find online are several hundred dollars, and it seems that cables are extra, and also expensive. My Belkin switch was less than $50, so I am reluctant to go that way.

So, would digital video be a big step up for me? I could buy a video driver card for my wife's WinXP Home Edition computer, and use either of the LCD monitors there.

Is there a KVM switch with digital video for less than $300, including cables, and not requiring USB rather than PS/2 keyboard and mouse?

I may well continue with just what I have now, but I am interested in what other forum members will say.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote