DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default XP SP3

Looks like release date for Windows XP SP3 is very soon.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/188157/w...next-week.html

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

The article lead to a story about Windows 7. I doubt that many would be sad to see Vista go.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/184932/
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
The article lead to a story about Windows 7. I doubt that many would be sad to see Vista go
When I bought my laptop used, that was a primary consideration. There were deals on new laptops with Vista that were cheaper, but I just wasn't ready to face the OS. However, I have noticed that XP works smoother with Microsoft Framework 1.1. But actually they have a 2.0 and 3.0 version, and maybe that's better. The way Framework was explained to me was, that it takes what is good on Vista, puts it in XP, and leaves out the junk. But I don't really know.

So I'm waiting for the day when someone puts out an OS that will eliminate Windows, (but it will have to run the old Windows software). I think it will happen. I get so tired of how Microsoft rigs everything to run a monopoly on their other software. But I love all the fantastic deals I get on software using Windows -- that part is truly amazing!!!

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Andrew:

A rather different point of view is given by Jack Schofield in today’s The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...rosoft.windows

He points out that many companies found themselves saddled with Windows 2000 (NT 5) for longer than they had bargained for by relying on predictions of when Windows Vista (NT 6) would be released He suggests that those that have adopted Windows XP (NT 5.5) were right to skip an upgrade and give Vista a miss, but they certainly will not want to skip NT 7—when it comes: for XP is now dead.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< Windows XP (NT 5.5) >>

Nitpicking, but NT5.1 I believe <g>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

Quote:
Nitpicking, but NT5.1 I believe
Yes, you are quite right, of course; though it seemed (especially after SP2) a lot further removed from NT 5.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I wasn't in W2K for long so I don't really remember it except for struggling with TWAIN to get my SJ5P scanner working. But that was a good investment in time since the same tweak worked for me in XP and now in VISTA so I've saved having to buy a new scanner.

Hugh
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

Quote:
I wasn't in W2K for long so I don't really remember it except for struggling with TWAIN to get my SJ5P scanner working. But that was a good investment in time since the same tweak worked for me in XP and now in VISTA so I've saved having to buy a new scanner.
That's very interesting: my scanner worked in Windows 2000 (and, it said, in the Mac OS of the time), but I have never tried it under XP; but now I want to recommission it under Vista. I never had any difficulty with TWAIN though.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

It was a question of turning OFF Windows Image Acquisition in Services but also doing what we recommended back in the Team HP days on Compuserve and that was using the older Deskscan 2.9 software rather than the Precisionscan (?) software that came with the scanner.

It may have helped that it is SCSI connected and so the connection gets set up before Windows gets on the scene <G>

But initially I was getting the classic "Can't find a Scanner" after installing the Scanning software.

Hugh
Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

Quote:
using the older Deskscan 2.9 software rather than the Precisionscan (?) software that came with the scanner
My scanner used Readiris 3 (pretty old, as I've got v. 10); it also insisted on the bits of software I've still got in a certain order. I did not use SCSI, although my computer was equipped with it. I'll remember Image Acquisition if I run into trouble—thanks!