DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Laurie

Default InDesign: importing Word doc with graphs and charts

Hello,

I am trying to build a large poster for a friend who has supplied us with a Word doc that contains graphs and bar charts. Is there a way to import graphs and charts from a Word doc into InDesign so that I can enlarge them a lot and have them still look nice (no jagged edges)?

I'll convert the poster to a pdf file once it is finished. I'm using InDesign CS2 and Word 2002.

Thanks for any advice.

Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Hopefully someone has a better solution, but what I'd do is print the Word document to PDF, then place the PDF, crop the pages down tightly around the charts/graphs, then resize them as needed.

If that didn't work I'd try selecting the chart/graph image in Word, then opening a new document in Photoshop and pasting the image into it. Not ideal, but at times that's been the only decent way to get images out of a supplied Word file.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I am trying to build a large poster for a friend who has supplied us with a Word doc that contains graphs and bar charts. Is there a way to import graphs and charts from a Word doc into InDesign so that I can enlarge them a lot and have them still look nice (no jagged edges)?

I'll convert the poster to a pdf file once it is finished. I'm using InDesign CS2 and Word 2002.

Thanks for any advice.
I would bet not, at least not in one step.

I would redo the charts and graphs in Adobe Illustrator, then place them in InDesign. I do not have any Word charts to test with, so cannot say for sure, but it is possible that Illustrator could open the file and re-create your charts as vector art at least semi-automatically. (It can open Windows Metafile, Word.doc and .docx, MS RTF, and BMP files. Not positive what it does with them, however.) Sorry to be so vague.

Alternatively, use the Word files as a template, and trace over them in Illustrator. The result will scalable and crisp.

This assumes that (a) you have Illustrator; and (b) that the charts and graphs in question are in one of those file types.

Anyway, my main point is that you cannot enlarge bitmaps without getting pixelation.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

In my experience, the graphs and bar charts will be pretty horrible when printed even at normal size. I get this all the time from contributors to a magazine I produce.

Kathleen's advice is good. For acceptable results, redo them in Illustrator.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Laurie

Thanks to all three of you for your helpful replies.

-- you cannot enlarge bitmaps without getting pixelation. --

This has been our experience in the past, so we figured we would have to rebuild them. I was wondering if there might be a way around this but apparently not. Will check out all the options y'all mentioned.

Laurie
Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
Thanks to all three of you for your helpful replies.

-- you cannot enlarge bitmaps without getting pixelation. --

This has been our experience in the past, so we figured we would have to rebuild them. I was wondering if there might be a way around this but apparently not. Will check out all the options y'all mentioned.
Do let us know what you do.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Laurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Do let us know what you do.
Kathleen,

As we don't have experience with Illustrator, the solution was to compromise the size of the bar graphs. Here's what I did for each bar chart:

a) copied bar graph into its own new MS Word doc file
b) saved (via "print") file to an Adobe pdf file
c) opened in Photoshop to increase the resolution from 180 to 300 dpi, then re-saved as a pdf
d) imported into InDesign

I could not enlarge them by much but at least we were able to include them in the poster without having to spend a lot of time recreating them.

Laurie
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Congratulations — You solved the problem. Hope your effort was appreciated.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Howard Allen

Sorry I'm late getting this response in, but I just tried a similar thing the other day, with Excel (I've never used Word, so can't specifically comment on that); I don't know, but I would assume that Word and Excel share similar charting routines. Anyway, I found that you can simply select and copy an Excel chart then paste it into Illustrator, and it results in a vector graphic. It needed some editing to remove extraneous objects that slop outside the plot boundaries, but it was completely scalable and editable, and retained the original proportions and colours.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote