DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 03-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Adrian

Default InDesign & multiple monitors

Hi,

Is it possible to set up InDesign so that the toolbars appear on one monitor and the document appears on another? I can't find anything in the handbook.

Best wishes, Adrian
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
Hi,

Is it possible to set up InDesign so that the toolbars appear on one monitor and the document appears on another? I can't find anything in the handbook.

Best wishes, Adrian
About a hundred years ago, when I was using two monitors on my Mac, dividing the two monitors like that was a hardware issue, and nothing to do with the applications at all.

If you can tell us about your hardware and OS setup, maybe someone here will be able to offer some ideas.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Alastair Bruce

Yes it is possible and I would highly recommended it, it's been possible since Win 98.
I use 3 monitors - a 21" CRT as primary in the centre and an 18" Eizo TFT on either side. As I generally have Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator all running at the same time, I find it's a great boost to productivity to have all the palettes arranged on the right hand screen with Indy on the primary and PS and Illy on the left, you can simply drag and drop images back and forth without all the alt/tabbing.
I will also sometimes have acrobat open on the left to compare PDFs with the parent Indy file, or Word on the right for transferring text into Indy.
On my windows XP pro system it was easy to set up, you need an additional graphics adapter for each extra monitor (unless you have a dualhead card such as a Matrox G450 which will drive 2 screens) and you can find guidance here:- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._multimon.mspx.

There is a useful utility here:- http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

I'm fairly sure it works in a similar way on Macs, I know Apple supported multiple monitors before PCs

Try it - you can pick up old pci cards for a couple of pounds and even an old 'goldfish bowl' 14" CRT will give you a taste of the increase in productivity you can achieve.

Good luck.
Alastair Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
djb

We have it happening all the time here, no special setup required.

Mac OS X, InD CS.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

OT: I like Perry much better than Homer!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
djb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
OT: I like Perry much better than Homer!
Avatar is subject to change without notice. 3rd party opinions have no effect on the choice of avatar. Anyone viewing my avatar does so at their own risk and without warranty of any kind. Park it and lock it, not responsible. Hey, GI, you want good time? If a man has an opinion and there's no woman present to hear it, is he still wrong? Reading this message signifies acceptance of a licencing agreement that you have not read and all the terms therein that I may change at any time.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Just a Raymond Burr fan, like my mother before me. Perry Mason is one of the first "grownup" TV shows I remember watching.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
Adrian

djb,

That's encouraging -- but how?

Best wishes, Adrian
Old 03-25-2005, 01:02 AM   #9
Adrian

Alastair,

Many thanks for that. Sounds like something we need to discuss with our supplier/consultant!

Best wishes, Adrian
Old 03-25-2005, 01:06 AM   #10
Adrian

Ann,

Thanks. It is something I remember seeing a looong time ago, hence the question. I'm trying to set it up with a Mac iBook running OSX and an external Sony flat screen monitor. Or do you need more than that?

Best wishes, Adrian