DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default An image-related tip that might be useful

I've just done a minor redesign for one of my clients who said he wanted a fawn rather than green background for his site (and when i asked him to quantify fawn, came up with a pale blue!).

Doing the text and backgrounds took about 5 minutes as of course I use CSS, but the logos were more problematic, as I hadn't followed my own advice to save a layered file (e.g. PSP or PSD), so I had to recreate them from scratch instead of just changing the background colour.

Of course, I'd forgotten long ago what fonts I used and couldn't tell what I used from the raster version. I recognised Palatino and Wingdings 2, and eventually used the http://www.identifont.com/ site to track down Zapf Chancery from just three letters (T, h, e) - very impressive!

So, my tip is: use a layered file with separate text and backgrounds - and put a note in the image information about what fonts you used.

(Unfortunately, I no longer have ZC installed on XP, and can't remember where I got it from on Windows 2000 when I originally made the site. Unwilling to buy it for such a quick job when I know I must have a legitimate copy somewhere on a CD, I used a font sample display site to copy the bitmap alphabet and fiddled with the size, hue and contrast to get an acceptable match for my new background. But that was 20 mins wasted for what should've taken 2. You can see the joins if you look hard enough - the anti-aliasing of "The" isn't quite the right colour - but it's good enough for web use. So, tip 2 is : Save a copy of less usual font files with the web resources.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gl-logo.gif
Views:	58
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	1258  
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote