DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Interesting hosting advice site

Web Hosting Reviews: Reliable Hosting Shopping Guide has articles on how to find and evaluate web hosts.

Among the articles are essays on key measures for evaluating a new host, including Windows vs. Linux, estimating hosting needs, typical server load, tricky TOS terms, overselling, hosting directors, ranking tools, and more.

The guy (it does seem to be one guy, Daniel Lemnaru) also has a list of a baker’s dozen of “honest hosts” — hosts he believes tell the truth and generally respect their clients. He arrives at his conclusions by reading user comments at a handful of sites regularly (including the generally respected WebHostingTalk site), and changes it periodically. He says it is not a “Top-anything” list (and is in random order).

He also says straight out that two of the hosts on that list pay him a commission if you click to them from his site (HostGator, his host; and DownTownHost).

Anyway, since I believe, increasingly, that we need all the help we can get in choosing a good host, thought I would post about this site.

He also has another site, UltraCheapHosts, a somewhat tongue-in-cheek site that explains how and if you should consider cheap hosting. I think he makes sense, most of the time.

FWIW

Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Thanks for this...took a quick look and it looks like he has some useful info...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Some useful points but there should be something about the host properly pre-testing the latest PHP version (for instance) before installing it on servers and about possible security issues on shared hosting.

I do support on a couple forums, for VirtueMart and for SnippetMaster and am alarmed by his comment that PHP works well on Windows servers. It does on properly configured systems but so often they are badly set up and getting scripts to work can be a nightmare.

I see my host company is in his top 10.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Some useful points but there should be something about the host properly pre-testing the latest PHP version (for instance) before installing it on servers and about possible security issues on shared hosting.

I do support on a couple forums, for VirtueMart and for SnippetMaster and am alarmed by his comment that PHP works well on Windows servers. It does on properly configured systems but so often they are badly set up and getting scripts to work can be a nightmare.
Maybe it would be worth mentioning to him.

Quote:
I see my host company is in his top 10.
I saw that (he says, however, it is not a “top” list — just his current list of good hosts). It was one of the things that encouraged me about his approach — if he agreed with you, he must be pretty good.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Hmm, those Webhostingtalk threads are all very old. Not that that necessarily means that the hosting companies have gone downhill since, but I'm at my current hosting company because I believed reviews from 2003 and am finding that it obviously became too popular as a result of such reviews. So I'm getting little hiccups and am looking for a new host.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Hmm, those Webhostingtalk threads are all very old. Not that that necessarily means that the hosting companies have gone downhill since, but I'm at my current hosting company because I believed reviews from 2003 and am finding that it obviously became too popular as a result of such reviews. So I'm getting little hiccups and am looking for a new host.
Hmm. WebHostingTalk continues — don’t they have more recent threads of interest?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Hmm. WebHostingTalk continues — don’t they have more recent threads of interest?
I'm thinking that the list hasn't been updated for something like four years (the most recent thread link I found was 2004, while most others were 2003).

Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I was just reading recent/live threads there, and found current information on HostGator and DownTownHost (that I noticed because they were on the WH Reviews list).

These were not formal reviews but did seem to be user comments on those hosts, dated December 2007 through March 2008.

But who knows how useful the chatter is? Not me.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
But who knows how useful the chatter is? Not me.
Me either. I just heard warning bells when I noticed the links from WHReviews were for the 2003 threads. It was a long 2003 thread on a vBulletin forum that brought me to my current hosting company – a decision that wasn't in my best interests.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Me either. I just heard warning bells when I noticed the links from WHReviews were for the 2003 threads. It was a long 2003 thread on a vBulletin forum that brought me to my current hosting company – a decision that wasn't in my best interests.
Ah. You mean the WebHosting Reviews links (and maybe the selections) are hold. I didn’t catch that.

I think your advice the other day (somewhere) — that we think of hosts as a short-term relationship and move on every couple of years — is probably right on the money. No matter how carefully you research a host, they will change (probably by increasing density on their servers), and then you need to go.

I was looking at a details sheet for one multiple-domain host today that said (proudly, I suppose) that it limited accounts per server to 300. But each of those accounts is allowed to resell or share up to 10 domains. Yikes — as many as 3,000 domains on a server? I have seen problems with 200.