DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Free OT icons for font developers

Thomas Phinney has again given us an interesting contribution to his Web log, this time on Adobe’s font icons, which other type developers are free to use:

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/

It’s a repeat offer of a previous offer, which he explained in detail at the time.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

I’d like to add that the heading to the thread is not now the heading I supplied initially (which was, I think, ‘Phinney-us again’), but it is more explanatory for the literal-minded. The icons are neat, and have long been used by Adobe to give some idea of the scope of individual OpenType fonts, which can and do vary considerably; they go some way towards removing the considerable confusion of most users.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
iamback

Problem is, I can't see those icons in question anywhere - I followed the link back to an earlier post, which has an "example here" link which I also followed: no icons (except for Truste but I'm sure that's not what he's referring to). Cyan icons? Where?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
"example here" link which I also followed: no icons (except for Truste but I'm sure that's not what he's referring to). Cyan icons? Where?
You were nearly there: the ‘example here' led you to an advertisement of two typefaces, and that featured two icons (in cyan); click on one of these and you are led to another page with a host of blue icons, each illustrating, in a conventional way, a feature of the fonts in question. For instance, there is one showing a capital A beside a smaller SC A, which is meant to indicate that the font includes both UC and SC characters.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
You were nearly there: the ‘example here' led you to an advertisement of two typefaces
It did not - what it leads to is a page called "Select a Store" with nothing but long lists of stores / countries to choose from. Below that heading it says "Please select a store. We will remember your selection the next time you visit." - maybe you (and the author?) have already selected a store and have that stored in a cookie, but I don't.

Having to follow a chain of links and then select a store just to (maybe) see an example of what should have been in the reference is a bit too much to ask. The article obviously makes the false assumption that everyone reading it has already used an Adobe store - the 'example here' does not lead directly to an example at all.

No, I'm not going to select a store to see an example of an icon. If you want people to see an example of an icon, put it in your article! Mr. Phinney seems to have overlooked such a fundamental aspect of showing examples on the Internet. Incredible, such a long article about icons without a single example right there.

(What I find interesting about that 'Select a Store' page is that it's implemented with ColdFusion: they seem to have embraced this Allaire technology, typical reams of whitespace in the generated page code and all. )

Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
It did not - what it leads to is a page called "Select a Store"
That is strange; but I can only say what I saw using FireFox 2.

Most of the readers of a typography Web log could be expected to have seen the icons in question, so perhaps Phinney thought they probably need only a reminder.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Marjolein: No, I'm not going to select a store to see an example of an icon.
I didn't do that. I just clicked on "More" in the blog paragraph and it gave me the full statement, including the terms of use, and a link that downloads the zip file containing the icons and the license materials. It takes seconds to download is all.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
I didn't do that. I just clicked on "More" in the blog paragraph and it gave me the full statement, including the terms of use, and a link that downloads the zip file containing the icons and the license materials. It takes seconds to download is all.
More what? "More" links are bad design (and bad accessibility) - so yes, I tend to overlook them. Still nothing there!

OK, so I downloaded the file. I still think the blog post should have used at minimum one image to illustrate what the heck it's talking about!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
I still think the blog post should have used at minimum one image to illustrate what the heck it's talking about!
As a result of your previous complaint, I looked as Phinney’s earier Web log piece about Adobe’s font icons and realized that the ‘example' he cited was not of the icons themselves but of the use made of them to explain the use Adobe Shop puts them to. This is made clear by the longer quotation below:

‘For each typeface in the Adobe store, we provide further info: we have a nifty set of cyan blue icons (example here) showing what kinds of alternate glyphs are present in the font, shown at the lower right part of the page. If you click on the "More Info" tab of that same box, you get a detailed list of linguistic character sets supported, and also a link to a PDF showing all the glyphs in the font, categorized and sorted.’

You have to click on the first icon you see to reveal all the icons that give information about the particular font family on offer.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
iamback

Sigh. As I explained already, that just leads to a "Select store" page, there is no icon to see or click on there. I have no idea what he means by "lower right" of the page - there's nothing icony there, no "box", no tab.

All your "longer quotation" makes clear is that Phinney doesn't know how the Adobe site works and that there is nothing to see for those who have never "selected a store".