DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
johnsonbunch

Default Cloning Mac

I have a G5 with OSX 10.3.9 that has a huge bad block in the harddrive. I plan to reformat the drive. I also have a MiniMac with OSX 10.4. My question is, can I use Carbon Copy Cloner (or similar) to clone the newer OS and everthing else from the MiniMac to the G5? I'm not very Mac-saavy, and a google search turned up this statement (bolding is mine) on www.index-site.com/backup.html:
Backup software which makes duplicate (also known as clone or mirror backups). These backups will boot any system that is capable of Firewire target disk mode, as that was another one of the features those systems got. To ensure that a clone works, select the destination drive in the Finder, by clicking it once, and selecting Get Info in the File menu, and uncheck "Ignore Privileges". If your clone is successful, then it should be able to boot the same system.
Important Note: Cloning to another computer via Target Disk Mode is NOT recommended. Apple's drivers are system specific, even with universal installs. Attempting to clone from one Mac model to another of a different vintage or model name, can result in kernel panics on the clone.
johnsonbunch is offline   Reply With Quote