DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
lstout

Default Choosing New Corporate Font(s)

I'm the in-house designer for a small technology company serving a fairly conservative industry (oil & gas). I'm developing a new look for the company which needs to have a contemporary, high-tech feel, without appearing trendy. The look will be applied primarily across printed collaterals, stationary, press releases, case studies and white papers. At the moment, I'm agonizing over choosing new corporate fonts.

Being the only creative in the company, I'm pretty isolated in making decisions, and so I'm looking for suggestions, advice, things to consider and any kind of feedback.

The old look, which I inherited, used a mishmash of fonts -- Officina Sans for heads, Sabon for body text, Gill Sans on stationary, Univers Condensed for small print...

I want to use a different sans family, and I'm looking for one that is big enough and versatile enough that it can work for heads, stationary, condensed print and be acceptable for limited display use (ie trade show booth).

Sans...
I've been trying Myriad Pro, and it certainly has the breadth I think I need, but I'm not keen on what I would call its rather generic feel.

Thinking about: Lucasfonts CorpId or TheSans; FF Scala Sans; Linotype Avenir Next; FF Fago

Serif...
I like Sabon, but maybe its a little too conservative for the look I'm going for, especially if paired with one of the above sans?

Please give me comments, thoughts, advice, past experience, things I should consider!

Leif Stout
lstout is offline   Reply With Quote