DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Ashlie
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 60
Default InDesign Question

I am building an ad in InDesign and I want a thin border all the way around the ad - a .25 stroke. I keep running into problems with the border because the right side stroke appears to be thinner. The existing page border is in the way a bit since my border is also black - it's hard to see exactly where my border lies. Just until I can get it lined up properly, I have changed the stroke to an orange color so it stands out. However, so far, I am still unable to get the border to be perfectly even all the way around the ad. I was able to eyeball it in InDesign and thought I had it just right and then once I saved it as a PDF, it shaved off a tad of the stroke on the right! Does anyone have a good tip for me? I need to try something else. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
I am building an ad in InDesign and I want a thin border all the way around the ad - a .25 stroke. I keep running into problems with the border because the right side stroke appears to be thinner. The existing page border is in the way a bit since my border is also black - it's hard to see exactly where my border lies. Just until I can get it lined up properly, I have changed the stroke to an orange color so it stands out. However, so far, I am still unable to get the border to be perfectly even all the way around the ad. I was able to eyeball it in InDesign and thought I had it just right and then once I saved it as a PDF, it shaved off a tad of the stroke on the right! Does anyone have a good tip for me? I need to try something else. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
I will be in over my head in a second, I fear. But it is possible that it doesn’t line up with the pixels correctly. You absolutely cannot trust your eyes when looking at the screen — if everything you find is what you see on the screen, it may be lying to you. (Bad screen!)

Did you print either the ID page or the PDF? Did this problem show up there as well? If so, what resolution is the output device? Could be a pixel-fitting problem there as well, but it might be fine at 2540 or other high-res output.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Ashlie
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 60
Default

I printed the ID page and the PDF page and the stroke appears slightly thinner on the right side of both printed pages. It seems minor except that I am a little worried how the ad will turn out in the magazine. I want the stroke to look uniform all the way around. I am not sure what the resolution is on my desktop printer - how can I check? Thanks for such a speedy response!
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
I printed the ID page and the PDF page and the stroke appears slightly thinner on the right side of both printed pages. It seems minor except that I am a little worried how the ad will turn out in the magazine. I want the stroke to look uniform all the way around. I am not sure what the resolution is on my desktop printer - how can I check? Thanks for such a speedy response!
On my Mac I can look at the Printer Utility to see information about the printer. Or I can look in the little window on the printer (an Hewlett-Packard) itself — where you set such things — and see what it says.

The manual probably will tell you the maximum resolution, but if your printer is set to Default, then you will not necessarily know the resolution actually used to print that document.

You might try this, though: ask the printer to print at 200%, and see if the line looks correct then. It might not work, but you never can tell. It might provide some information you could use to decipher this.

One-quarter of a PostScript point is 1/18th of an inch. If I still know how to do arithmetic, that means a 1200 dpi laser printer would use 67.67 dots to draw a line of that width; or a 1000 dpi printer would use 55.6 dots; or a 600 dpi printer would use 33.33 dots. You would think the printer would be capable of fitting your rule to the printer’s pixel grid at the first two resolutions at the very least — but perhaps not.

Unlike type, which has hinting, rules just print. Which is a long-winded way of saying I really don’t know, even if my arithmetic does work!

How’s your budget? Send the ad out to your printer and have it output at whatever resolution you expect the publication to use. Then you would know. If it is uneven, you have a beef (or a problem, anyway).

I often use quarter-pixel rules, though; do not recall having a problem. FWIW.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Benwiggy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
I keep running into problems with the border because the right side stroke appears to be thinner. The existing page border is in the way a bit since my border is also black - it's hard to see exactly where my border lies. Just until I can get it lined up properly, I have changed the stroke to an orange color so it stands out. However, so far, I am still unable to get the border to be perfectly even all the way around the ad. I was able to eyeball it in InDesign and thought I had it just right and then once I saved it as a PDF, it shaved off a tad of the stroke on the right!
Is your border on the edge of your document layout? Have you included any bleed in your print settings? Perhaps the line is a fraction off the page...?
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Ashlie
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 60
Default

Yes, the border is right at the edge of the document layout. I have not included any bleed in my print settings but the ad should not be outside of the document layout. It will not be an ad that bleeds to the edge of the page. It is possible that the line is a fraction off the page but I can't figure it out - it's really hard to tell especially since the stroke is only .25. When I turn the border into a bright orange so that I can see the edge of the orange border against the black document border it doesn't appear to be going off the page. However, I cannot tell for sure. In InDesign, the edge of the document page at the right is thicker than the left, almost with a slight drop shadow - maybe I can change this so that I can see more clearly... If the borders of the document page are uniform, maybe it will be easier to tell if its going of the page. Any ideas?

   
__________________
~ Ashlie
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
Yes, the border is right at the edge of the document layout. I have not included any bleed in my print settings but the ad should not be outside of the document layout. It will not be an ad that bleeds to the edge of the page. It is possible that the line is a fraction off the page but I can't figure it out - it's really hard to tell especially since the stroke is only .25. When I turn the border into a bright orange so that I can see the edge of the orange border against the black document border it doesn't appear to be going off the page. However, I cannot tell for sure. In InDesign, the edge of the document page at the right is thicker than the left, almost with a slight drop shadow - maybe I can change this so that I can see more clearly... If the borders of the document page are uniform, maybe it will be easier to tell if its going of the page. Any ideas?
What is the size of the ad? Could it be fit on a larger sheet of paper that you can still print, just temporarily, so you can actually see the line print in the middle of the page?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Ashlie
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 60
Default

The ad is a quarter page ad. Not sure what you mean exactly above... I thought of increasing the size of the document page so the border is sure to fit but I don't want an additional white border around the entire ad...so I haven't worked out that idea completely in my head yet. When I select the stroke and tell it to line up on the inside of the page, it seems fine. But when I look at it closer up and in print, the right border is slightly thinner.

   
__________________
~ Ashlie
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
The ad is a quarter page ad. Not sure what you mean exactly above... I thought of increasing the size of the document page so the border is sure to fit but I don't want an additional white border around the entire ad...so I haven't worked out that idea completely in my head yet. When I select the stroke and tell it to line up on the inside of the page, it seems fine. But when I look at it closer up and in print, the right border is slightly thinner.
Well, I meant that you should do it right now, just to see if the reason the border is looking funny is that it is at the edge of the image area.

If so, then you can either move it in a point or two or work out some other way to fix it. But at least you would know that that is the problem.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
groucho
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 490
Default

"One-quarter of a PostScript point is 1/18th of an inch."
Scratching my fully-caffienated head...Don't think so. A PS "point" is an even 1/72 of an inch, a quarter of that would be 0.013888 divided by 0.055555, which works out to some 0.0249, call it 0.025, which is twenty-five thousands of an inch, similar to a 3x0 Rapid-O-Graph point.

At 1200dpi that's 30 dots (29.99) at 600dpi it's a mere 15 dots.

Or, it's my turn (my turn! my turn! <VBG> ) to get the math wrong, something I've done often enough.<G>

Either way it should be enough 'dots' that artifacting wouldn't be visible to the usual eye. I'm reminded of a QXP job someone had a disaster with some years ago, where they set a line to "hairline" not knowing that meant "one pixel at the device resolution" and then had trapping enabled--which neatly erased the one pixel line stroke.

Not knowing what's in ID...I'd still guess this sounds more like traps/chokes are enabled in ID and they might be the problem?

If the entire ad was grabbed and moved to the center of the page, and the problem still persisted--then it would be something like a choke problem, not the image cutting off from the edge of the page issues. Thta would be one fast way to check, just move the whole thing, or rotate it, and see where or if the problem continues to show.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ask Any Question Richard Waller The Corner Pub 3 12-18-2006 01:53 PM
Yet another InDesign question :) Robin Springall Print Design 1 07-07-2006 10:31 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't ask this question Franca On Language & Literature 12 04-18-2006 11:29 AM
Bonehead InDesign Question Gaoming Print Design 4 02-17-2006 10:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.