DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Choose your communication preference

You have a choice how to communicate. Over the garden fence, out with the dog, snail mail, newspaper, newsletter, telephone, mobile/cell, text, email, internet forums, website, blog, facebook et al, and now video. You have to choose according to the personal preference of the recipient. Get it wrong and your messages go down the black hole.

My personal complaint is the video is imposing itself on the other formats. Things I want to see in the news websites seem to present video and this always seems long-winded and time consuming. The Facebook format is full of it. Why can't I have a 50 word summary of the views or news item so I can glance at it and move on.

And I certainly can't be bothered to receive or send snail mail. Telephone calls from some of my contacts are unbearably tedious. At least when walking the dog I can walk the other way to avoid the bores.

Last edited by Richard Waller; 03-17-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
richard: At least when walking the dog I can walk the other way to avoid the bores.
LOL!!!

I've noticed the increased use of video myself and I agree with you that text would be prefereable and of course the videos drive me nuts because none of them are captioned--I ran into a number of them other day when looking for something online and I decided I would never buy anything from the site because the videos were soooo annoying...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
cdanddvdpublisher

I agree. They should make it so that the videos are there if you want to see them but it is your choice.

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

One of my occasional delights is to receive a hand-written letter from one of my friends - even if I do keep in touch with email.

But you are right about the videos without a clue to their content - but what can you expect if you hang about on Facebook? <EG>
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
One of my occasional delights is to receive a hand-written letter from one of my friends
My late sister had kept a whole stack of hand-written letters, some quite delightful. But we thouight we ought to at least glance through the paperwork before having to feed much of it into the shredder. There were stacks of photos, and we were even more hesitant about trashing those.

Dealing with paper stuff in a way that protects privacy is increasingly tedious. It would be easier to have a bonfire, but they do not like us doing this.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
DTP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller View Post
Why can't I have a 50 word summary of the views or news item so I can glance at it and move on.
Why not take advantage of the RSS feeds that most sites offer? Then you can use either a dedicated RSS reader of the built in facilities that some email clients offer to scan the feeds and click through for further reading if something appears interesting?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy View Post
Why not take advantage of the RSS feeds that most sites offer?
So that is what that little symbolis. I looked at one of the local news sites and found the description did not give me a very good picture of what the site was about - but you are right it did give a suscinct list of available material with subject and date. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy View Post
Why not take advantage of the RSS feeds that most sites offer? Then you can use either a dedicated RSS reader of the built in facilities that some email clients offer to scan the feeds and click through for further reading if something appears interesting?
Or a browser - some browsers have (admittedly rather primitive) feed reader capabilities as well. Firefox and Opera, to name two.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Or a browser - some browsers have (admittedly rather primitive) feed reader capabilities as well. Firefox and Opera, to name two.
And Safari, which I tend to use because it's always open and has a menubar link.