DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default PDF2Office plug-in for MS Word

PDF2Office Personal from Recosoft: “a PDF document conversion and data extraction plug-in for Microsoft Word.… converts PDF documents into fully editable Microsoft Word format recreating the intended construction and layout of the document.”

And “also provides options for converting or extracting data from a range of pages in a PDF document. You can extract text or images, or convert the entire document to Microsoft Word format.”

This caught my eye because of a discussion here — I found myself wondering if this tool might help solve the problem discussed in the “Inserting different pages in Word document” thread here.

It sounds as if he would be able to skip the scanning step, which is what seems to be causing the quality problems.

Anyway, there are versions of the software for Mac and Windows. The Personal edition is $60 for the Mac and $40 for Windows. There are demo versions available for download as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

I have a similar tool (Solid Converter) - but it only works if the original PDF contains real text rather than scanned bitmaps, which I think may be the problem there? I must go and check the thread anyway to see what happened over the w/e.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
converts PDF documents into fully editable Microsoft Word format recreating the intended construction and layout of the document.
Assuming Word is capable of mirroring the intended construction of the original document, of course. Good luck with a complicated Quark doc.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
Assuming Word is capable of mirroring the intended construction of the original document, of course. Good luck with a complicated Quark doc.
I was quoting the promo. I would love to see someone I know actually see if this thing works.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
I have a similar tool (Solid Converter) - but it only works if the original PDF contains real text rather than scanned bitmaps, which I think may be the problem there? I must go and check the thread anyway to see what happened over the w/e.
Probably true here, too.

But hope springs eternal.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Lois:

Quote:
I have a similar tool, SolidConverter, but it only works if the original PDF contains real text rather than scanned bitmaps
I have it too (it’s very good); it does work on a doument that has been scanned without OCR, but of course you only get a picture of the text, not ‘text’, so it cannot be edited.

Answering Ben, Word can deal very well with most documents, I've found. The original PDF documents could well have been made from Quark XPress documents, since they are made professionally, but they may also have been made from InDesign.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Oh, I'd say it makes a "good enough" mirror - but sometimes with horrendous construction. Not something one would wish to use IRL - but good enough to get the text out and start again.

It works best in technical type documents I find: reports, tabular data, that sort of thing. But some tables (these were Oracle d/b outputs) seem to fool it, and instead of a table, you get placed textboxes, which are a nightmare to manage. Better to paste into Notepad and start from there!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote