DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Introduce Yourself

Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
That was a year or so later; notice all the styling!

Steve remembered correctly: It was the Osborne. Even uglier.
Ah yes, I remember that, too! Earlier indeed. But these were really exciting machines at the time!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
iamback

Well, even to a child the location of the screen must have been clear - can you remember yourself behind it? Was the screen in the middle or at the left?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #23
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Exciting indeed. Especially as both of them (Kaypro and Osborne) broke the $2000 barrier for hardware and threw in an amazing amount of free software; there weren't any discounters at the time; the bundled software alone would have cost more than the computers sold for. dBase II, SuperCalc, WordStar and bunches of other stuff, all came with my Osborne.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:

The Osborne must have caught my eye for some reason; I was reading Chip (a German computer magazine) then, which I started reading in 1987. I had decided to use a computer for word processing and didn't know what to get.
1987? By then, Osborne would have long since gone down in flames.

My dad had gotten interested in personal computers back when you built your own 2k RAM machines from kits, and I'd had a little fun playing with his. I'd been reading (without really understanding) his Byte magazines and asking him "Is it time yet?" once a year or so. I wanted to use a computer for word processing too, but the answer was always "No."

When the Osborne came out (in 1980 or 1981?) he phoned me up and said "It's time."

None of the CP/M system manufacturers lasted long after the IBM PC came out. Kaypro released a very sleek MSDOS laptop, the Kaypro 2000

http://oldcomputers.net/kaypro2000.html - the photo makes it look chubbier than it actually was, but gives an accurate rendition of the screen, which was truly horrible.

I suspect that Kaypro's company image was so tied to CP/M that the world pretty much left them behind in the rush to PC-compatibles. The 2000 didn't help.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #25
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
1987? By then, Osborne would have long since gone down in flames
It wasn't necessarily the Osborne 1, and anyway, Germany was always reckoned to be a bit backward in some respects. It was probably a bit earlier than 1987 that I took an interest, since I had decided I needed a computer by then and was ready to spend money (a lot of money, I thought).

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
cdanddvdpublisher

It was in the middle

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #27
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanddvdpublisher View Post
It was in the middle
See?
Then it was an Osborne. The Kaypro "suitcases" all had their screen to the left, with two floppy drives above each other to the right.