DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Use monitor in portrait mode for DTP?

Does anyone use his* monitor in portrait mode for DTP programs? I've newly got a monitor that can be used in this way, and I've got the software (softOSM, but I haven't puzzled out how to use it). Theoretically, portrait mode should be good for setting pages, but there may be snags in using it practically.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Does anyone use his* monitor in portrait mode for DTP programs? I've newly got a monitor that can be used in this way, and I've got the software (softOSM, but I haven't puzzled out how to use it). Theoretically, portrait mode should be good for setting pages, but there may be snags in using it practically.
My LG Flatron monitor was purchased with this idea, but the software never worked out for me. It is so long ago, that I forget just why, but I think the screen "jiggled" when it should be steady. No doubt the technology has improved since then.

I was expecting to do HTML with this monitor, not DTP. Otherwise, the monitor has been just fine.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I gave up on rotating my minataur some years ago, because softare just doesn't support it properly: there's not enough space for the toolbars and menus, and other programs really cry foul. Better to use a thumping big screen instead (28" or larger) or just live with the largest you can get without passing the "bang-for-bucks" threshold (currently 24" here in Blighty).

Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Howard Allen

I used to have a greyscale portrait (CRT) monitor that I used with my Mac SE/30. It was strictly portrait, and got a lot of funny looks, especially from Windows people (this was back in about 1992). I thought it was great to be able to work on a full page with no scrolling, but the software in those days wasn't so toolbar and palette intensive, so it afforded lots of screen real-estate. I think Robin's right--nowadays it wouldn't be so practical, except as a second monitor, which is how I used my old portrait. I stuck the few palettes on the little SE/30 screen and the document on the portrait screen.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Robin:

Quote:
Better to use a thumping big screen instead (28" or larger) or just live with the largest you can get without passing the "bang-for-bucks" threshold (currently 24" here in Blighty).
I have in fact just got a brand-new computer (with Vista) and a Iiyama ProLite B2403WS monitor: it is a 24 in wide-screen monitor, and one of its advantages is that it can be swivelled through 90 degrees, provided you have the softOSM software (which I have downloaded and installed). I'm considering whether I want to use it in portrait mode, even if I can do.

The fact that several DTP people though it worth trying is encouraging, but, of course, there are arguments against it, one being that one wants often to see the whole spread, and a monitor format that is good for single pages in portrait mode will be equally good for spreads in landscape mode. A consideration in favour of portrait mode is that it might be better for my old eyes: already I've found that I shouldn't take advantage of the monitor's native resolution (1920 x 1200), since my sight is no longer up to that.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: already I've found that I shouldn't take advantage of the monitor's native resolution (1920 x 1200), since my sight is no longer up to that.
It's my understanding that one should use an LCD monitor's native resolution and when I moved recently from my 19" CRT with a res of ~1152x768 to my new 20" LCD with a res of 1600x1200, the transition was rather unpleasant...

First thing I did was to modifiy the font settings via the Appearance tab (right click an empty spot on the desktop > choose Properties > Appearance (choose windows classic style as there are then more options available on the next step) > Effects (choose ClearType) and then back to Appearance > Advanced).

I went through each of the options in the Advanced drop down upping the font size usually by 1pt--8pt to 9pt--and while on my old system, I had MS San Serif set for the font, on WinXP, I chose Tahoma as I could read it better. I also adjusted the font setting in Netscape7.2 and Firefox2 bumping up the font size by 1pt or so in the Font prefs for each browser.

The above helped a bit but the final tweak was to change the screen PPI Settings > Advanced > General (right click an empty spot on the desktop > choose Properties > Settings) from the default of 92 to 102--it's a bit tricky to get the slider exactly where you want it and I was shooting for 100 but 102 is as close as I got after trying a few times.

The other problem with the LCD compared to my old CRT is that the LCD is just so BRIGHT!!!

I adjusted the Brightness to 80% (Contrast is set to the default value of 50%) and the NEC LCD2090UXi has a Black Level setting and I adjusted that just a wee bit from 50 to 48...

With all of the above, I found that reading the screen is much easier...

The only problem I really have now is that for some reason and for just some sites--Wikipedia and some of the mozilla.org pages--Cleartype doesn't work and I don't know why and it's really hard to read webpages when ClearType won't work...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Quote:
It's my understanding that one should use an LCD monitor's native resolution
Yes, that is what I heard too, although the user manual doesn't emphasize that. I initially set the monitor at the maximum, which is also the native resolution, but I found that 1680 × 1050 gives reasonably sized icons ('classic' icons: Vista's icons are bigger) etc. I haven't yet found where I turn ClearType off (I think 'on' is the default in Vista).

I've also found that the nVidia control panel offers portrait; in fact it even stands things on their heads!

It takes a while to discover all the things I'd like to change.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Terrie (again):

Quote:
I've also found that the nVidia control panel offers portrait; in fact it even stands things on their heads!
And upside down is how I got the portrait view first time, and I had no idea before how difficult it is to operate the mouse when every movement of the hand has to be arseyversey! But now I've got the picture hanging the right way up.

I've reverted to having the resolution 1920 × 1200; with the pixel size 120 1/in the icons & print is not too small. ClearType was on by default.