DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 03-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
blaqlion22

Default Help! Printing problems

Noob here to this site. I recently bought a HP Officejet Pro K850 Printer to make newsletters for my church. I made the newsletter in Pagemaker 6.5 and am trying to print the thing on 11x17 paper. The problem I stuck with is that every time I try to print, the printer shrinks my project to a 4x4inch format. I looked at the properties and have come to the conclusion that the page is set to booklet(as in a book page) format. But this is the only format that will allow me to print my project on a single page. The other formats either print in the center of the page or cut off. I guess my question is does anyone know the right or best way to format and print a newsletter using a similar printer? I will greatly appreciate ANY help.
blaqlion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqlion22 View Post
Noob here to this site. I recently bought a HP Officejet Pro K850 Printer to make newsletters for my church. I made the newsletter in Pagemaker 6.5 and am trying to print the thing on 11x17 paper. The problem I stuck with is that every time I try to print, the printer shrinks my project to a 4x4inch format. I looked at the properties and have come to the conclusion that the page is set to booklet(as in a book page) format. But this is the only format that will allow me to print my project on a single page. The other formats either print in the center of the page or cut off. I guess my question is does anyone know the right or best way to format and print a newsletter using a similar printer? I will greatly appreciate ANY help.
Your post is a little confusing.

At any rate, I'm sorry to say that I'm not impressed with your printer. Is that your choice because you want to use 11x17 paper?? If your newsletter is only a single page, might you consider another size and then a different printer? A laser will give you better quality and cost less to run. But are you using photos and graphics? Do you need color?

If your printer isn't running the page as set up in the software, I wonder if it is defective?? It's hard to say without being able to view the document in the software and to see the printer.

However, there are some inexpensive ways to come across nice printers and supplies. For instance, in your area is there a non-profit organization that helps out non-profit organizations with printers, computer hardware, supplies, furniture etc.? You might look for it -- as they can be around for decades without you knowing it, as they seldom advertise.

Basically, I'm suggesting you review your newsletter and printing needs from the bottom up and consider a whole new approach.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I recently bought a HP Officejet Pro K850 Printer to make newsletters for my church. I made the newsletter in Pagemaker 6.5 and am trying to print the thing on 11x17 paper. The problem I stuck with is that every time I try to print, the printer shrinks my project to a 4x4inch format. I looked at the properties and have come to the conclusion that the page is set to booklet(as in a book page) format. But this is the only format that will allow me to print my project on a single page. The other formats either print in the center of the page or cut off.

… does anyone know the right or best way to format and print a newsletter using a similar printer?
Hi — welcome to the forum!

There are two sides to this problem.

Part 1: The printer

Is this the K850dn model? If not, you will have to print fronts and backs of each sheet manually.

Check the HP web site to make sure you have an up-to-date printer driver.

Part 2: PageMaker

If you are new to PageMaker you should begin by launching the program with no document (do not open one and do not create a new one). Click on Preferences in the File menu and click on General. At lower right, click on Smaller (save option). Then select Link options … in the Elements menu and make sure the Graphics: Store copy in publication is unchecked. These settings will help avoid some infamous PageMaker corruption problems.

How did you set up the PageMaker file? It sounds as if you want to have an 8-1/2" X 11" magazine sort of newsletter? If so, you should set the page size to Letter size. Set the number of pages — that is, numbered pages, not sheets of paper; probably 4 in your case. Turn on Double-sided and Facing Pages. Set margins, and lay out the pages.

To print the job on 11X17-inch paper: Once the newsletter is laid out, proofread, corrected, and completely ready to print, click on Print. Make sure the PPD: entry shows the name of your printer. Set the number of copies. Have it set to print both pages (meaning not just odd or even pages). Click on Reader’s spreads and (if you have any) Print blank pages. Change the orientation to the second arrangement.

Then click on the Paper button on the right side. Set the size to 11X17; you should see your newsletter laid out with two pages shown on it. Set the scale to 100%.

There are other buttons on that pane; you may not need them. If you do, you will find out when you do a trial print (one set of pages).

See if any of this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Make sure the PPD: entry shows the name of your printer.
I suspect you've checked to see that the printer is a PS-capable one. If it's not, or if it's a dual-mode PS/PCL printer and the PCL driver's been selected, there'll be no PPD option.

www.pptools.com
and stuff

Last edited by ktinkel; 03-06-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarify quote
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I suspect you've checked to see that the printer is a PS-capable one. If it's not, or if it's a dual-mode PS/PCL printer and the PCL driver's been selected, there'll be no PPD option.
Ooops — thank you. I always forget about that (always use PostScript printers, especially for page layout output).

Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

<g> Same here. And to tell the truth, I really didn't remember how PM dealt with non PS printers ... it was roughly as I remembered it.

Luckily I had both drivers for the HP1320 installed on the same PC as PageMaker and could check easily.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
blaqlion22

Default Maybe this will help...

This is what it looks like on my Pagemaker screen and this how it prints out(sorry about the paper, Im using scrap paper). Can someone explain why this keeps happening?

ps-Im using a Officejet Pro K850 not K850n.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1230   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1231  
Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
George

Baglion22,

I'll take a guess the problem is software. Do you have problems in printing any other formats?? Have you tried the printer with another word processing program??

Most people here use Adobe Indesign, but they are preparing sophisticated layouts for commercial printers. For people like you and me, we can do just great with a program like Serif PagePlus, and even the $10, 9.0 version (which really costs $15). For basic DTP, it is very nice and simple to learn and use. I never have any problems with it period, but it just makes everything easy. [But don't try the free version (too much good stuff removed), and it's better to buy it on disc, (which has the development patches)].

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
This is what it looks like on my Pagemaker screen and this how it prints out(sorry about the paper, Im using scrap paper). Can someone explain why this keeps happening?
Not really, unless you give us more information.

Are you setting up your PageMaker file as I described in my earlier message? That would be a good place to start. If yes, then we need to look at the printer driver. Do you have a current one?

Quote:
Im using a Officejet Pro K850 not K850n.
Okay. Is it the “d” (duplex) model?

If you set up a letter size one-page PageMaker document and print it does that also get reduced? How about if you make a test file for a 5-1/2 X 8-1/2 booklet (half letter vertical)? Does that print properly on letter-size paper, or is it also reduced in size?

Problem solving is often a process of eliminating; we need to find out what works correctly and what doesn’t — then maybe we can figure out how to fix this.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
blaqlion22

1)Im not sure if it's the duplex model but I have an "auto duplex unit option" in the document properties of my printer. I also downloaded the most recent driver for my printer but when I went to install it, it said that that version was already installed.
2)It will print a regular letter-size document, the problem I run into is when I try to put the pages on a single sheet of 11x17. I'll try printing that Half letter vertical you talked about above.