DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #21
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
"It's this digital world where the laws of physics don't hold, "
Laws of phsyics? Oh, you mean, like the speed of light, which can drop to 30mph or less in a Bose-Einstein condensate? (Fifth state of matter.) I suspect that a lot of what we think are physical laws, are just local "appearances" that may be quite subject to change when or if we ever figure out what's really happening. Like why gravity works (usually) and why we don't just fall through the ground, instead of walking on it, when there's so much space between our atoms.
And if your camera captures photons, are you required to report them to the International Red Cross and forward care packages to them?<G>

I am simply grateful that the world makes so little sense, I don't have to try to make any sense of it. My bit depth is woefully inadequate to the task, leaving huge gaps in my histogram.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #22
groucho
Staff

Yes, thanks. Found that too and have been reading up from it.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #23
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I liked what they had to say and how they said it when I checked Products and HP and read the B9180 review -- including why on earth give it that numeric ID?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #24
groucho
Staff

Grain:
Well, I keep trying to get a perpetual flame installed next to JFK's in Arlington National Cemetery, in honor of the late and lamented Panatomic-X. Which really used to give nice results even at ASA100 (it wasn't quite "EI" yet<G>) in Diafine, or one of the other non-Kodak developers.
Then again, I've got one photo I treasure that was shot on TriX pushed to EI3200, a "hail mary" shot from across a gymnasium during a concert. Grain the size of walnuts but wtf the miracle is that a photo could be TAKEN at all.<G>
So grain I'm more used to thinking of as something you get on your shoes and inevitably have to deal with. Not being able to get a wide contrast/brightness range "at all not never" is something else again, more like "Whaddaymean I have to walk through that barefoot? I always wear shoes!"
If you know what I mean.<G>
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote