DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default Pelicans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
You'e just reminded me of a sight I saw a couple of weeks ago. I was travelling to our library on Bribie Island and noticed that every single street light on the bridge to the island had at least one pelican on it, while some had two.
Now that sounds like a great sight. How large are your pelicans?

Here we find nests of monk parakeets on electrical transformers. They build big heavy nests, and the electric company really hates them. But for me, the sight is just amazing. Not to mention the cacaphony — they like to yak.

And little birds like to sit on power lines. Sometimes a mile of them.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Now that sounds like a great sight. How large are your pelicans?
Our pelicans are about the same size as those I saw in San Francisco many years ago, but are black and white. Those I saw in SF were sort of beige where ours are white, from memory.

I see pictures (and remember Thelwell cartoons) showing long lines of small birds on wires, but we don't see that many here. Maybe because our native birds don't migrate?

We do have sulphur-crested cockatoos taking over whole trees and making a huge cacophony at dusk and dawn here. Drives some people to move to the city, actually, because you can't hear yourself think, let alone what the person sitting next to you is saying.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
How large are your pelicans?
Large enough to do this much damage to a F111.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Large enough to do this much damage to a F111.
Yow! That is incredible.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Yow! That is incredible.
Amazing, isn't it?

And that the pilots got back, too.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Our pelicans are about the same size as those I saw in San Francisco many years ago, but are black and white. Those I saw in SF were sort of beige where ours are white, from memory.

I see pictures (and remember Thelwell cartoons) showing long lines of small birds on wires, but we don't see that many here. Maybe because our native birds don't migrate?

We do have sulphur-crested cockatoos taking over whole trees and making a huge cacophony at dusk and dawn here. Drives some people to move to the city, actually, because you can't hear yourself think, let alone what the person sitting next to you is saying.
Australian pelicans are native to Australia and several nearby nations, and are fairly large birds. I didn't know that there are pelicans in Australia.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Now that sounds like a great sight. How large are your pelicans?

Here we find nests of monk parakeets on electrical transformers. They build big heavy nests, and the electric company really hates them. But for me, the sight is just amazing. Not to mention the cacaphony — they like to yak.

And little birds like to sit on power lines. Sometimes a mile of them.
Australian pelicans are as big as 1.8 meters long.

The monk parakeets must be escaped pets. I remember seeing whole trees covered with escaped pet birds in San Francisco on TV. Many people like them, but some want them captured and removed as pests. We don't seem to have any colonies of parakeets or other tropical birds here in Philadelphia, so I am surprised that they are common in Connecticut.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,742
Default

>The jet was flying at 900m on a test bombing raid at Evans Head, northern NSW, when a pelican struck the fibreglass nose and was sucked into an engine.

A very pilot-centric view of things, that. Wouldn't it be equally fair to say that the plane struck the bird?

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>The jet was flying at 900m on a test bombing raid at Evans Head, northern NSW, when a pelican struck the fibreglass nose and was sucked into an engine.

A very pilot-centric view of things, that. Wouldn't it be equally fair to say that the plane struck the bird?
Yeah, and nobody seems to be concerned about the fate of the pelican, either.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Yeah, and nobody seems to be concerned about the fate of the pelican, either.
From the pictures, I think we can answer the question ourselves. Poor bird.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.