DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Iomega Zip drive?

My old computer (made in 2000) has a 250 Mbyte Iomega Zip drive, which I found useful; my new computer (made a fortnight ago) hasn't, though it can write to CD etc. disks. I'm thinking of getting a Zip drive for the new one, but wonder if there's a better way for storage of comparatively small numbers of files: what do you think?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
My old computer (made in 2000) has a 250 Mbyte Iomega Zip drive, which I found useful; my new computer (made a fortnight ago) hasn't, though it can write to CD etc. disks. I'm thinking of getting a Zip drive for the new one, but wonder if there's a better way for storage of comparatively small numbers of files: what do you think?
For long-term storage, I use CDs. For temporary storage or transporting files, I use flash drives.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: I'm thinking of getting a Zip drive for the new one, but wonder if there's a better way for storage of comparatively small numbers of files: what do you think?
I finally got around to selling both my Zip drives and associated disks about 8 months ago.

For a large volume of files--backing up my imaging work--I use DVD and for a smaller number, CD. For just a few files--quickie copying of files from my old system to my new or taking a few files to add to my sister's laptop--I use a USB flash drive...wonderful little thingies...'-}}

Flash drives have gotten quite inexpensive...I think you can probably get a relatively decent 1gb drive for under $20-$25--not sure what that would be in Euros or Pounds but cheap basically...

I was surprised that anyone would want my Zip drives--did it on ebay--but I priced them well and I sold each drive (one 100mb drive and one 250mb drive) with about 10-15 Zip disks each. I think I got about $30-$40 for each one (including the shipping)...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Terrie & Don A.:

Quote:
For just a few files--quickie copying of files from my old system to my new or taking a few files to add to my sister's laptop--I use a USB flash drive
Everyone seems to be using flash drives, CDs, and even DVDs these days; it seems that I have become a fossil, for the only things I have abandoned are floppies. But even for my last computer I should have to get a USB hub, for it's only got two USB sockets, both occupied. My last three computers have got Zip drives, and only the newest of them has USB.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: Everyone seems to be using flash drives, CDs, and even DVDs these days; it seems that I have become a fossil, for the only things I have abandoned are floppies.
ROFL!!! I do know exactly what you mean! I sold the Zip drives with some reluctance and I don't use the flash drive the way my sister or one of my neighbors does but they are handy to have and once you start using them, they do become quite handy...'-}}

>> But even for my last computer I should have to get a USB hub, for it's only got two USB sockets, both occupied. My last three computers have got Zip drives, and only the newest of them has USB.

I think that one of the reasons I didn't use the flash drive that much and waited for quite a long time before buying one (and I only bought the one I did because it was sooo inexpensive--$15) was because my usb ports on my old system were all USB1 (and inconveniently placed) and it took me a long time to get a USB2 card. A USB hub can be very handy--no more crawling around on the floor to plug something in--and most of them are not too pricey...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If you're storing the files only temporarily, then the zip drive might make sense. But given how inexpensive CD blanks are, you can burn an awful lot of them for the cost of a single Zip cartridge, I'd think. And for reliability and longevity, I'd bet on the CDs.

And as Don says, thumb drives for short-term storage seem a good buy.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
iamback

I still have a ZIP drive but haven't used it for ages. The cost of the media (per mb) is way too high to continue to use it. I still have an archive on ZIP disks - once I have transferred that onto CD/DVDs the ZIP drive will go.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
If you're storing the files only temporarily, then the zip drive might make sense
I'm mainly concerned with transferring files from my last computer; once that's done, I shan't need it that often, if at all. But not everyone has CD writer, and even 250 Mbyte is a lot of room for most files: it seems to me that generally, using a CD is like hiring a 10-ton lorry to take a week's groceries home! But, as you say, CDs are cheap . . .

Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I'm mainly concerned with transferring files from my last computer
If that is your primary concern, then there are even more options.

I would connect the two computers ethernet-port to ethernet-port with a cross-over cable and transfer the files directly.

You could remove the hard drive from the old computer, install it in the new computer, then transfer the files across the internal bus. Then put the old drive back into the old computer if you want.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Not everyone has a CD writer, but how many won't have a CD reader?

And in any case, your odds of finding a CD reader/writer are more than just a wee bit better than finding a working 250mb Zip drive. ;-)

There are also external USB CD readers and/or writers in case you're stuck dealing with a computer that doesn't have a CD.

But if you're just moving files from an old HDD to the new one, and if you can remove the HDD from the old computer w/o too much trouble, you might want to spend US$20 worth of Euro on something like this:

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/ada...200/BT-200.htm

You plug one end of this litte rig into the HDD (sitting bare on any convenient surface) and the other end into the USB port on your new computer and voila, the old HDD appears as though an external USB drive. Which it is. Copy away.

I bought one on a "Oooo, that might be handy some day" whim and I've used it several times already to recover data from a good hard drive in a failed laptop and also from a failing but still usable hard drive in a good laptop.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote