DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #21
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I went the opposite way — started out with DSL, then switched to cable. In my case, it was because the DSL was fussy. I would come downstairs in the morning and find it down; this happened several times a month. To get it up again required lots of shutting down, unplugging, dancing on one foot while reciting a special mantra (and while cursing a blue streak). And about one time in three, I had to call tech support, and do all that plugging and unplugging all over again, as that was the price of reaching anyone above the lowest tech level. This little dance usually took an hour or two. Not nice.

And probably not typical of DSL at all; it was just our wonderful local phone company, during a period when it was being acquired on a regular basis.

So one day I signed up with the dread Cablevision, the people I had avoided in the first place because I swore never to give them another penny. But it has been very reliable, mostly very fast, and merely expensive. (Now they both cost the same, $50/month; isn’t that amazing?) I never need tech support. Yay!

Anyway, if you have the system installed for you by the company, they will install any necessary filter. As for lack of a filter causing damage to any device, I have never experienced or heard that. In fact, when I first had the DSL in Westport my system had no filter; I had so many problems that finally the beneficient and wise phone company sent a technician out; took him about a nano-second to see the lack of a fiilter, put it on, and then things worked pretty well. The trouble started when I moved here. May have been a distance thing.

DSL runs on an unused pair of wires in your phone line. You can still use the phone itself as before. I suppose you know that, but just in case.