DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #41
Franca
Staff

A lot of people choose Canon or Nikon based on what lenses they've already got. My husband's always been a Nikon guy so it was a no-brainer for him. If you don't already have an allegiance from traditional gear I don't know how the heck you choose! Do research and ask questions (as you're doing) and maybe find ways to try out the ones on your "short list".

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #42
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanddvdpublisher View Post
I'm curious to find out from those of you who've used both Nikon and Canon to see what you find to be the main difference in their DSLR's - I've heard a big difference is in skin color tones - one (can't remember which) is warmer and the other is cooler. Any other significant differences? I just know there seem to be people who are Canon all the way and those who are Nikon all the way - I'm still shopping and not sure which way to lean
To make things more complicated, I believe the camera-makers are constantly tweaking the details, so the pattern might not be as clear as you think.

As for making a case for using old (analog camera) lenses in digital cameras from the same maker, that isn’t necessarily going to work either. We owned Nikons for decades; the lenses for the old Nikkormat do not fit the new cameras. The lenses for a slightly newer Nikon seem to fit, but are not automated at all. The lenses for my 2020 do fit, but I had only one of those.

FWIW: I know more photographers who express great pleasure with their Canon Rebel than with any Nikon. But this technology zips along pretty fast. I doubt you would go wrong with either of these brands, so long as the model you buy has the features you need. As for skin tone, after all, there’s Photoshop!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #43
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In addition to the other suggestions, if you have no previous investment in Canon or Nikon equipment (that'll work with the new digital camera ... as KT points out, not all of it will) go to the store, pick up the cameras and play with them. One or another of them may simply feel better in your hands. Controls may fall more or less naturally where your fingers expect them to be. That's worth a few points in the decision-making process.

This is also a good source of detailed information:
http://www.dpreview.com/

In addition to the camera, look at the software that comes with it (if you're inclined to use the provided stuff) and at what add'l software is available. I really like a program called BreezeBrowser and some of its companion bits and pieces; it'd be more useful yet if I had a Canon camera instead of the Nikon, since there are more features supported on Canons.

As to the color diffs ... is this an apples/apples comparison? That is, are they comparing raw images or the JPGs that the camera delivers after processing?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #44
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cdanddvdpublisher: I'm still shopping and not sure which way to lean
I've not used a Nikon digicam and it's been many eons since I used Nikon equipment--I owned a Nikkormat at one point. When I moved from my Olympus OM-1 35mm to my first digicam, I bought a refurbished Olympus C-4040 (from refurbdepot.com) as a way of dipping my toe in digicam waters and soon lusted after a digital SLR.

When I had to money to buy a digital SLR, I found Steve's Digicams to be an invaluable resource for comparing cameras--warning!!! the comparison process will make you crazy...'-}}

I bought a Canon Rebel XT body and 2 Tamron zoom lenses from buydig.com--very pleased with their service and prices--and I've been pleased with the camera. I'd never used any Canon equipment before--I didn't install any of the software that came with the camera, so I can't comment on that but I've never noticed a problem with skin tones or any color in my images and never read anything about that.

If you have a decent local camera store, you might go in and try holding the different cameras and see what feels comfortable in your hand. I tried really hard to buy my camera locally but the price difference from buydig.com was just too great--$250-ish more from the local place.

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #45
Hugh Wyn Griffith

www.dpreview.com is also very good. It's UK based but bought recently by Amazon!

They have a good compare function.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #46
cdanddvdpublisher

I like the idea of holding the camera before buying it. It's so hard to buy online if you haven't seen what you're getting. And the idea of buying a camera for the lens I guess makes a little sense.

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #47
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cdandvdpub:I like the idea of holding the camera before buying it. It's so hard to buy online if you haven't seen what you're getting.
Yeah...I checked out a couple of different local camera stores after I'd narrowed my choices down to 2-3 different camera brands and I found it quite helpful as I was able to hold and "shoot" with different models. If the local camera shops pricing had been within $30-$50 of the online prices, I would have bought locally but they couldn't come close to matching the price. What I did buy locally was a camera bag and a few other odds and ends...

>>And the idea of buying a camera for the lens I guess makes a little sense.

Actually, I think it makes quite a bit of sense. If you had existing lenses that you liked/felt were good lenses and could use if you bought one brand of camera over another, I think that would certainly give weight to buying that particular brand. If you are buying all new, then I think most of the upper end camera brands--Nikon, Canon, Olympus--all have good lenses and there are also good 3rd party lenses out there--I've been pleased with my Tamron lenses.

Do keep us posted on your research...always fun to live vicariously...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote