DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #31
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'll have to try it on some simpler PDFs. The converter goes toes up on the ones I've handed it so far.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It's originally meant as a music playback gadget, more or less like an MP3 player. But it's got a nice-size hard disk built in, and in fact it can appear to a Mac as a USB HDD, so you can copy stuff other than music to it. AAMOF it has some built in software that lets you access notes, calendar and whatnot that you've synched from your Mac. And there are add-on gadgets that let you copy photos to it from SD/CF cards, maybe others. And you can get other add-on gadgets that let you record to it. And with still other gadgets, it'll fix dinner, draw you a beer or brew you an afterdinner espresso (it likes more foam on either than I prefer, but what can you do?).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #33
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
It's originally meant as a music playback gadget, more or less like an MP3 player. But it's got a nice-size hard disk built in, and in fact it can appear to a Mac as a USB HDD, so you can copy stuff other than music to it. AAMOF it has some built in software that lets you access notes, calendar and whatnot that you've synched from your Mac. And there are add-on gadgets that let you copy photos to it from SD/CF cards, maybe others. And you can get other add-on gadgets that let you record to it. And with still other gadgets, it'll fix dinner, draw you a beer or brew you an afterdinner espresso (it likes more foam on either than I prefer, but what can you do?).
It works like that on PCs, too, as a hard drive I mean, does it not? There sure seem to be a lot of WIndows people buying them.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #34
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

Lurkalot,

Well, I'll admit it, I've been "Nikon mad" since 1982 when I bought my first one. It was an FE2, and I was in love with it. It had that "Nikon feel." Too bad it was stolen two weeks later, along with several rolls of exposed film!

I've owned two Nikon N6006 for a few years now, and I like them very much. The D70 is so much like my film cameras that it just feels right in my hands.

Now that my company has purchased the D70 for me (I'm staff photographer) I can use all of my lenses and my speedlight with it. I had them buy the kit, but I've been using my 28-105 almost exclusively. It has a macro setting which works well for product photography, which I do a lot of. I've also been using my 85mm lens for portrait work.

Best,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #35
michelen

Franca,

FWIW, there is definitely no shutter lag withe the D70. Even better, you can keep shooting while it is processing. And the battery life is incredible, not to be believed. The Nikon guy at MacWorld told me I would be pleasantly surprised, and I am. The specs say one battery will do something like 1,300 frames, and I am beginning to believe it!

The D70 is $995 without the lens. And your husband has lenses. So tell him to stop procrastinating. Really, it's a wonderful camera. He won't be disappointed.

Best,
Michele

PS: Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rebel. It's just that he already has all those lenses...
Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #36
michelen

Steve,

Oh, my hands definitely like Nikons. I remember when I bought my first one, an FE2 back in 1983. The guy at the camera store said something about the "Nikon feel," and I discovered what he meant. My FE2 was stolen about two weeks after I got it. I couldn't afford to replace it, and eventually ended up with a Minolta X370. A decent camera, but it didn't have that "Nikon feel."

My husband bought me a Nikon N6606 for Christmas a few years ago. I loved it. I picked up a second body from someone on photo.net. And the D70 handles just like my N6006, so I feel very much at home.

As for focusing closer, I have a 28-105 lens with macro capability, and it does wonderful closeups. There is a sample on my web site if you're interested. I should note that I shoot on manual mode almost always--except for snaps at parties when I am drinking beer. Same goes for my film cameras. Also, I tend to use manual focus for macro shots--even though my eyesight leaves a lot to be desired, the AF sometimes can't cope with the objects I shoot in macro mode.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the kit lens has the focus and zoom rings backwards. This has been a source of confusion ever since I got the camera. I've been using my other lenses quite a bit, and whenever I put this lens back on, something isn't right. Now I know what it is.

Still, it's a great camera. And I didn't even have to pay for it. One of the hats I wear at GamePro Magazine is "Staff Photographer," so they bought it, and it's mine! Nice perk.

Regards,
Michele
Old 03-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #37
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkalot
Mike, do you get the £100 cash back
The £100 cash back wasn't on offer when I bought mine. I qualified for a £300 rebate which turned out to be Nikon rebate coupons for things I didn't want. One coupon was for the SB-800 flash which I thought would be useful till I read the small print -- it was only valid for SB-800s bought at full list price.

It came with the 18-70mm lens.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:12 AM   #38
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
In any case, trying out a few different cameras before buying is a good idea - and fun, too. :-)
So long as you have the strength of will to stick to your budget!

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #39
Molly/CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Well, here's a dumb question ... what are the iPod's capabilities? What is its primary use intended to be? I really only have the vaguest notion pf what an iPod is.
They've come a long way from the original idea of a machine for buying and downloading music files from the Apple collection. My son stores hundreds of JPEGs on his, hooks them into a TV to show us or his classes pictures, plays examples of music through the school equipment on them, uses it to play the accompaniments at his solo steel drum gigs, keeps some kind of address book in it, and I don't know what all else. It will also store broadcasts ("podcasts") of radio shows (and videos, but the idea of watching movies on a 2" screen doesn't thrill me), if you have a fast internet connection to download them.

Naturally, being a silicon-generation kid (at 37. sigh), he knows how to make all the toys turn flipflops. I'm too dumb to do all that but I so use it to offload CDs to my HDs -- you can make CDs with it from HD files and it's easier to use and more reliable, if the playback equipment will read WAV and MP3 files, than the stupid bloated Roxio software. I also play music -- any audio files-- into my car radio from it -- came with the car but the newer radios have a more sophisticated system for it. This is great if you live in a musical desert. The reproduction is dependent on the file type and the earphones or speakers, pretty much -- it can be super.

I think the thing about raw files is that they're so camera-specific. I had to upgrade even my relatively recent Photoshop CS2 to handle the new Canon's (30D) RAW files, and Thumbs Plus comes up with new RAW file subprograms with every upgrade. I don't see Apple wanting to make a bunch of downloadable driver equivalents for all the different RAW files.
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #40
cdanddvdpublisher

I'm curious to find out from those of you who've used both Nikon and Canon to see what you find to be the main difference in their DSLR's - I've heard a big difference is in skin color tones - one (can't remember which) is warmer and the other is cooler. Any other significant differences? I just know there seem to be people who are Canon all the way and those who are Nikon all the way - I'm still shopping and not sure which way to lean

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote