DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Michael Rowley

Howard:

Quote:
I guess George and I should have gone to school in the UK
If you had, you would have talked funny, like us! But it is not a generation thing, since all of my children had the same scales on their wooden rulers: the two edges seen from the convex face had inches and tenths and inches and eighths; the two edges of the flat face had inches and sixths on one edge and centimetres and millimetres on the other.

That didn't change (in England) during my own 14 years at school (1934-1948), or much later. Nowadays, cheaper plastic rulers have probably displaced the wooden ones. Most printer's rules are no good nowadays, because 72 of the 'old' picas do not equal 12 inches (I've got one, made in the USA, bought about 1990).

Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Howard:
the two edges seen from the convex face had inches and tenths and inches and eighths; the two edges of the flat face had inches and sixths on one edge and centimetres and millimetres on the other.
It sounds really neat. But where can I get one? Will you sell me yours??

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
What default is 600%? Are you talking about the hyphenation zone (sometimes called the no-hyphenation zone)? If your software works the way most does, making that smaller will increase hyphenation.

Sorry. Yeah, I meant the hyphenation zone. Actually, it seemed making it smaller or larger increased hyphenation – so the default was well thought out I guess.

Quote:
...and float the whole package — block quote plus citation — in a space that is an exact multiple of your text lines so you do not have misaligned text.
I’m not sure what you mean. I just make a further indentation on the right and left. I have to have different styles to maintain the integrity of Hebrew poetic parallelism.

Quote:
I would keep the indentation modest (1 pica), and just set the citation in italic right below it 1 pica from the far left margin, or 1 pica from the quote margin?? I put the quotes in italic, as they are scripture, and the citation in roman.
I appreciate all this help. You know the booklet pretty good now (it seems like better than I do), so what do you think would be some good font choices for the title on the cover page??

Quote:
A tip: Why are you spec’ing Verdana in your posts? Verdana is the default... No need to add all that extra code to every paragraph.
But the software wouldn’t cooperate with me when the problems were going on. I guess it’s fixed now. You know I often use voice recognition. I can dictate right into the text window but I was doing some copy and paste moves. Let me know if problems continue.

Edit prior posted thought: I noticed that even with just five pages folded, with some paper there is a creep going on. But I’m OK with it for now, as I can only deal with so much at one time. Still, this forum gives me one more thing to think about.

George
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Michael Rowley

George:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
It sounds really neat. But where can I get one? Will you sell me yours?

George
My last one of that sort disappeared long ago. Schoolboys customarily used their rulers for flicking pellets (they were nice and springy); much later, wooden rulers usually had to be discarded because someone had used them to guide sharp blades, and no longer had straight edges.

I find that nowadays traditional rulers of the same pattern are still made (e.g. by The Ruler Company), and are available with a number of varieties of graduation marks, but I couldn't find any that are marked off in sixths and twelfths of an inch. But I've looked again at my plastic ruler with picas, and it is after all marked 6 to the inch (exactly); a pity I've used millimetres for years!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Sorry. Yeah, I meant the hyphenation zone. Actually, it seemed making it smaller or larger increased hyphenation – so the default was well thought out I guess.
So long as the hyphenation is correct (not misleading) and the number of breaks not too irritating, more hyphens are better (that is how you get the lovely soft rag on the right edge).

Quote:
so what do you think would be some good font choices for the title on the cover page??
Dunno. How many words? What “feel” are you going for? All B&W, right?

Quote:
I noticed that even with just five pages folded, with some paper there is a creep going on. But I’m OK with it for now, as I can only deal with so much at one time. Still, this forum gives me one more thing to think about.
Creep might be perceptible with 5 pieces of paper, especially if it is heavier stock. But so long as it is easy to handle and read, I wouldn’t worry about it.

What software are you using?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
George

Michael,

I never had a ruler in school. Pittsburgh gave us pencils and paper but nothing else. I think the biology students also got a frog. When I taught school, I took the class out to catch some frogs, but then a herd of cows came by, and I didn't like that, cause I wasn't sure what cows were about. So we didn't get any frogs.

I am going to look for one of these rulers you mentioned. I think it would be good.

George
Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
George

Kathleen,

OK, I tried this hyphenation thing again. What you suggest works good. When I tried it before, I thought I got too much hyphenation. This time I tried a bunch of numbered increases, and it kept getting better with each one til it didn't, and then I went back one. So I'm set now at 1500%.

For booklets, I like short titles, usually four words, but if I have less, for some reason, they are longer. Less frequently I have six words.

I only print in black and white, because if I print in color it costs money. I did get a book on preparing for printing in color, so I could understand what all of you are always talking about. But I'm not into color and graphics. With black and white, I can maneuver things cheap, and I like to give out everything free of charge. If I wanted to make money, there's other things I'd be doing. But I really do just like black and white -- maybe, a grey scale.

Right now, I moving everything to PagePlus 9. I like it. I would consider buying Adobe Indesign if I had distinct proof of superior print quality. Otherwise, I am too basic to need it. (However, PP9 doesn't do a nice business card. Remember Terrie told me to use Corel WP for the cards, when I asked which software was best for them. Dang she got that right. It's the best for business cards. And I learn all this neat stuff right here in this forum -- like you told me to spray the cards with Krylon).

George
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #18
roaryg

Quote:
But I have some publications coming that go way over the 20 pages – so then, maybe, I’ll have to start a new thread.
No need to start a new thread, here are some ways to calculate creep:

http://desktoppub.about.com/b/2006/1...mpensation.htm

Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaryg View Post
No need to start a new thread, here are some ways to calculate creep:

http://desktoppub.about.com/b/2006/1...mpensation.htm
Tim,

Thank you for the link!! I'm going to study it. It'll take awhile, but at least I have a start.

George