Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Richard Waller
Richard Waller's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Goring-by-Sea, West Sussex UK
Posts: 732

Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I just finished a non-fiction book where the author, a Wall Street Journal journalist, uses the word "lede" about the beginning paragraph of a newspaper article. From context and a Wikipedia definition, I would call that the "lead" instead. Perhaps forum members know about this term, which is new to me.
It has got to be 'lead' and refers to the stuff at the top after the heading that persuades readers that they should bother to read the rest. And essential feature which many people forget.

In fact, the first seven words should do this. And they often don't.

Associated with the word is 'leading' which is the typesetters handling of white space with plain lead instead of font characters.

Richard Waller
Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newspaper printing dmc Print Production & Automation 3 12-10-2009 07:18 AM
Forms design article LoisWakeman Web Design 2 06-27-2007 01:56 PM
Newspaper printing Bo Aakerstrom Print Design 10 09-14-2006 07:00 AM
Doyald Young — a nice article ktinkel Fonts & Typography 3 04-25-2006 10:20 AM
A better CMS (article) ktinkel Web Site Building & Maintenance 2 12-28-2005 11:37 AM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2018 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.