DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Clayton

Default Preventing TTF Font Substitution

Adobe Acrobat keeps changing the TTF Arial Narrow Bold and Arial Narrow into Adobe Sans MM. Didn't used to work that way, but its been awhile since I've used Acrobat (was using Jaws).

I had specified font embedding but that didn't work. What do I need to do to prevent Acrobat 6 from substituting its own fonts? And what do I need to do so that Acrobat has access to the fonts in the document being converted??
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Howard Allen

Acrobat uses the MM fonts when it can't find any embedded fonts. Assuming you have the correct fonts on your system, try this: go to the "Advanced" menu and make sure "Use Local Fonts" is selected. This should force Acrobat to use the fonts on your system, rather than those embedded (or not embedded) in the document.

As for embedding fonts in the document, that depends on the application you're using to create the PDF. InDesign embeds fonts by default, and won't do anything else. If you're using an application that calls Distiller to do its PDF rendering, launch Distiller, then go to the "Settings" menu and select "Edit Adobe PDF settings..." In the "Fonts" tab, you can click "Embed all fonts" which does just that. You also have the option of selecting "Subset Embedded Fonts When Percent of Characters Used is Less Than". Generally, leave this set to 100%, and you'll get only the characters that exist in the document, thereby saving file size somewhat. You can also choose which fonts to embed, and which to "never embed".

Some other applications give you access to these font embedding options directly in their "Print" or "Export" dialogs.

OSX 10.10.5

Last edited by Howard Allen; 01-28-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Thought of something else.
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Clayton

Thanks, Howard,

I had a lot of Arial and TNR fonts, plus Verdana and Trebuchet and some others that make me suspicious, plus Arial Narrow (*!**!!!) in the Never Embed list. I must have put them there during a crack dream or something. Anyway, I took them all out and will give it a try in a few minutes. One thing for sure, I never would have placed Arial, TNR, and Verdana into the Never Embed list. Are those there by default or something???
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Howard Allen

Glad I was able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
One thing for sure, I never would have placed Arial, TNR, and Verdana into the Never Embed list. Are those there by default or something???
No way. The "Never Embed" list is empty by default. You (or someone else who uses/used your machine) must have done it.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote