DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
AGG

Default Another pagemaker 7 problem...

Maybe its me, but my first document yesterday printed fine, but after spending all day working on another paper, when I print it all the graphics are in the wrong places! Do you know why this might be happening? I even tried to pdf it, but the same thing happens. Yet on the screen it looks great!! Guess you can see I'm quite .
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post
Maybe its me, but my first document yesterday printed fine, but after spending all day working on another paper, when I print it all the graphics are in the wrong places! Do you know why this might be happening? I even tried to pdf it, but the same thing happens. Yet on the screen it looks great!! Guess you can see I'm quite .
Sure sounds frustrating. Maybe we can help you fix it.

The error is probably in the PageMaker file; the PDF would reproduce that rather than what you see on the screen if there is a discrepancy.

Do you have PageMaker set to save Faster or Smaller in File > Preferences > General? (Best, almost mandatory, to use Smaller.)

In what way are the images in the wrong places? Pictures swapped from one place to another? In the right place but shifted a little bit in one direction or another? On top of text?

How did you get your graphics into PageMaker — drag and drop, or using PageMaker’s Place function? (The latter is the much better way.)

Were they the correct size and resolution for the job, or were you having PageMaker reduce them on the fly? (It is much better to have them at the correct size and resolution before placing them.)

When you look at your page on the screen and select (click on) one of the images, does the control palette (usually at the bottom of the screen) show the image where you want it? Is it the same positioning you see by looking at the ruler?

Are you doing anything unusual to your images? Are they normal, rectangular shapes?

Let us know the answers to these questions.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
AGG

Hi, I've managed to find a way around the floating images - they were only floating when it was printed.
The images imported with the word document, and some required cropping a little bit. It was the cropping using pagemaker that has caused the problems.
I am now pasting the images in separately as enhanced metafiles, and then putting in boxes that are filled, with invisible lines over the lines that I am trying to crop, and then grouping it all. Does this make sense?
Cheers, Aylwen
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
Does this make sense?
I understand what you're doing, yes, but it's not a good way to work with PageWrecker: much better to get images into the program using File, Place, as Kathleen suggested, then clip them in a frame to mask off the bits you don't want to be seen.

I've spent all this evening thrashing about with a bloomin' PM job, so I sympathise with your frustration

Last edited by Robin Springall; 01-14-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to correct the program name ;)
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
AGG

Problem is that the images are embedded in the document, not as separate files. I really don't want to spend the time on them that I know I should.
Cheers, A
Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Ah, understood. Be careful about text reflow, coz if that happens then your images will move again. Nightmare

Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Hi, I've managed to find a way around the floating images - they were only floating when it was printed.
The images imported with the word document, and some required cropping a little bit. It was the cropping using pagemaker that has caused the problems.

I am now pasting the images in separately as enhanced metafiles, and then putting in boxes that are filled, with invisible lines over the lines that I am trying to crop, and then grouping it all. Does this make sense?

Cheers, Aylwen
It sounds risky to me. PageMaker was my best tool for many years, but it has a weakness — a tendency to make fatally corrupt files when it doesn’t like something.

To work happily with PageMaker: Place (do not drag/drop) files and images. Link (do not embed) images. Avoid placing styled Word files, and if you must, then redefine every single style, so PageMaker no longer shows any asterisks next to style names.

Save As (or save Smaller) frequently.

If you cannot do these things, do make backup copies of the file periodically so you can gracefully recover.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Embedded in the original Word doc?

Open the Word doc, save as an HTML page and among the resulting rubble of files, you should find the original image files.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
groucho
Staff

A-
If these are Windows MetaFiles (WMF) format, that format has been problematic for a long time. There are variations in the standards, and some software just never handled some WMF versions properly.
If you can convert them to any other file version (EPS, TIF, BMP) I would expect the problems to go away.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote