Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
dthomsen8

Default Smallest files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
dt-
So which software did make the smallest files? And need one ask, was that with file optons the same for all of them?
I've worked with files designed for radio transmission where "the same" page but ranged from 14-45K in size, depending on who made the PDF and how they made it, so I'm also aware of the size problem and options.

As it happens I tried Primo here first--and it seems to work. Haven't compared it yet to anything else. Had a full license for 995PDF back in the days when they ONLY worked with Win95...I wonder if I find that if they'll upgrade it.<G>
Converting from PDF to MSWord is a bit of a pickle. What version of Word? The newer ones use variations of HTML and are sometimes not backwards compatible, and the latest service pack (SP3) for Office2003 actually locks out older file formats as a security feature. So they say. But there can be things in an PDF file that most versions of Word just can't handle. Word files were (and I think are still) composed to a particular target printer, they reflow as the printer is changed, so unless the PDF is brought in and fixed line-by-line with hard breaks...it may have flow problems, too.
I've always compared putting a PDF file "back" into a word processor as being similar to trying to rebuild the chicken, from chicken soup. No matter how many of the bones you find--soup is an end product (like a PDF file) and it just doesn't work so well in reverse.<G>
My MS Word to PDF days were four years ago. I can still try it, though. I remember that sometimes Acrobat 5 was as much as three times the PDF995 size. Part of the problem was that the person writing the newsletter created rather complex MS Word files with formatted ads in boxes, which made for large PDF files.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote