DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Christmas Decorations

Yesterday I took down the Christmas tree, but the wreath is still on the door, and I see other houses with wreaths and lights. When should the decorations come down?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
When should the decorations come down?
In England, just before Epiphany, i.e. on January 5.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Benwiggy

The twelve days of Christmas start on Christmas Day and continue for 2 weeks (not counting Sundays).
Epiphany starts on 6th Jan, so you should take down your decorations on Twelfth Night, 5th Jan.

That having been said, a vicar near me keeps all his Christmas decorations up at home and in the church until Shrove Tuesday - tree, nativity and all! And he informs the Church of England on Liturgy!

If you're Greek Orthodox, Christmas isn't till 6th Jan, anyway!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
a vicar near me keeps all his Christmas decorations up at home and in the church until Shrove Tuesday - tree, nativity and all! And he informs the Church of England on Liturgy!
So how does he deal with the fact that Easter eggs and hot cross buns are already on sale in the supermarkets here?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Yesterday I took down the Christmas tree, but the wreath is still on the door, and I see other houses with wreaths and lights. When should the decorations come down?
It depends on you. I see houses with Christmas decoration up (red bows and wreaths, usually) until February or whenever the needles have all fallen off. The St. Patrick’s Day banners stay up until the Fourth of July!

We don’t decorate the house, but always take the tree down shortly after New Year’s Day, and by January 6 for sure.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
It depends on you. I see houses with Christmas decoration up (red bows and wreaths, usually) until February or whenever the needles have all fallen off. The St. Patrick’s Day banners stay up until the Fourth of July!
My sister-in-law in Alaska tells me that Alaskans where she's lived (apart from Juneau where they are now) put up their lights as early as October and leave them up into March. Helps things be cheerful in the months of few daylight hours.

We didn't decorate outdoors this year, so don't have to worry about that, but we set up the tree rather late and aren't quite done enjoying the lights, so the decorations are still up inside. Also, I picked several spots to decorate for winter sans holiday theme, so I could leave that stuff out until late Feb. or whenever I get tired of it, whichever comes first.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
So how does he deal with the fact that Easter eggs and hot cross buns are already on sale in the supermarkets here?
He swears like a docker! Its seems that these days, Christmas starts in October and ends on Christmas day, rather than starting on 25th, as it ought. I still wish people a merry Xmas up to Epiphany, and get very strange looks.

Surely there's Valentine's Day and "Jif Lemon Day"* to come first?

** Jif, a maker of lemon juice, ran a successful ad campaign for many years, reminding people "not to forget the Pancakes on Jif Lemon Day".
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
Surely there's Valentine's Day and "Jif Lemon Day"* to come first?

** Jif, a maker of lemon juice, ran a successful ad campaign for many years, reminding people "not to forget the Pancakes on Jif Lemon Day".
Valentine's day isn't a huge deal here, and coexists with preparations for Easter. No Jif lemon day, sorry.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Valentine's day isn't a huge deal here, and coexists with preparations for Easter. No Jif lemon day, sorry.
Valentine's Day has become a big deal here, especially with greeting cards, candy, and flowers. Red roses are twice as much near February 14. I will agree that the commercial interests push every opportunity to make sales, as early as they can.

Christmas goods are out before Halloween, and Halloween stuff is out by Labor Day. There were Valentines on the shelves before New Year's Day, too.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Winter Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
My sister-in-law in Alaska tells me that Alaskans where she's lived (apart from Juneau where they are now) put up their lights as early as October and leave them up into March. Helps things be cheerful in the months of few daylight hours. ...
We have those white "icicle" lights up all winter in some neighborhoods. Some homes keep single candle type lights in their windows all year around, too.