DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Christmas Decorations

Yesterday I took down the Christmas tree, but the wreath is still on the door, and I see other houses with wreaths and lights. When should the decorations come down?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Dave:

Quote:
When should the decorations come down?
In England, just before Epiphany, i.e. on January 5.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Benwiggy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Posts: 451
Default

The twelve days of Christmas start on Christmas Day and continue for 2 weeks (not counting Sundays).
Epiphany starts on 6th Jan, so you should take down your decorations on Twelfth Night, 5th Jan.

That having been said, a vicar near me keeps all his Christmas decorations up at home and in the church until Shrove Tuesday - tree, nativity and all! And he informs the Church of England on Liturgy!

If you're Greek Orthodox, Christmas isn't till 6th Jan, anyway!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
a vicar near me keeps all his Christmas decorations up at home and in the church until Shrove Tuesday - tree, nativity and all! And he informs the Church of England on Liturgy!
So how does he deal with the fact that Easter eggs and hot cross buns are already on sale in the supermarkets here?

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Yesterday I took down the Christmas tree, but the wreath is still on the door, and I see other houses with wreaths and lights. When should the decorations come down?
It depends on you. I see houses with Christmas decoration up (red bows and wreaths, usually) until February or whenever the needles have all fallen off. The St. Patrick’s Day banners stay up until the Fourth of July!

We don’t decorate the house, but always take the tree down shortly after New Year’s Day, and by January 6 for sure.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
It depends on you. I see houses with Christmas decoration up (red bows and wreaths, usually) until February or whenever the needles have all fallen off. The St. Patrick’s Day banners stay up until the Fourth of July!
My sister-in-law in Alaska tells me that Alaskans where she's lived (apart from Juneau where they are now) put up their lights as early as October and leave them up into March. Helps things be cheerful in the months of few daylight hours.

We didn't decorate outdoors this year, so don't have to worry about that, but we set up the tree rather late and aren't quite done enjoying the lights, so the decorations are still up inside. Also, I picked several spots to decorate for winter sans holiday theme, so I could leave that stuff out until late Feb. or whenever I get tired of it, whichever comes first.

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Benwiggy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
So how does he deal with the fact that Easter eggs and hot cross buns are already on sale in the supermarkets here?
He swears like a docker! Its seems that these days, Christmas starts in October and ends on Christmas day, rather than starting on 25th, as it ought. I still wish people a merry Xmas up to Epiphany, and get very strange looks.

Surely there's Valentine's Day and "Jif Lemon Day"* to come first?

** Jif, a maker of lemon juice, ran a successful ad campaign for many years, reminding people "not to forget the Pancakes on Jif Lemon Day".
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
Surely there's Valentine's Day and "Jif Lemon Day"* to come first?

** Jif, a maker of lemon juice, ran a successful ad campaign for many years, reminding people "not to forget the Pancakes on Jif Lemon Day".
Valentine's day isn't a huge deal here, and coexists with preparations for Easter. No Jif lemon day, sorry.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Valentine's day isn't a huge deal here, and coexists with preparations for Easter. No Jif lemon day, sorry.
Valentine's Day has become a big deal here, especially with greeting cards, candy, and flowers. Red roses are twice as much near February 14. I will agree that the commercial interests push every opportunity to make sales, as early as they can.

Christmas goods are out before Halloween, and Halloween stuff is out by Labor Day. There were Valentines on the shelves before New Year's Day, too.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Winter Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
My sister-in-law in Alaska tells me that Alaskans where she's lived (apart from Juneau where they are now) put up their lights as early as October and leave them up into March. Helps things be cheerful in the months of few daylight hours. ...
We have those white "icicle" lights up all winter in some neighborhoods. Some homes keep single candle type lights in their windows all year around, too.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas Cracker Jokes dogmandouglas The Corner Pub 7 12-25-2007 09:21 AM
Happy Christmas everyone... LoisWakeman The Corner Pub 17 12-24-2007 11:44 PM
12 Days of Christmas — great version! ktinkel The Corner Pub 6 12-20-2007 03:38 PM
Merry Christmas dogmandouglas The Corner Pub 25 12-28-2006 11:59 AM
Happy Christmas all LoisWakeman The Corner Pub 15 12-30-2005 08:11 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.