DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #22
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
You would have been asked to name the computer in the initial setup, but if you didn't set it there, it's probably called My Computer.
Hmm - I didn't notice anything like that! I could have been tripped by non-PC terminology, maybe, or the fact that it started setting up what amounted to Airport, and I was concentrating on getting that working (not too hard once I found a network I could actually use without first having to set up the wireless part of my modem and figure out what MAC address the MacBook would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
To change the name, select System Preferences > Sharing and change the name at the top (this is in Leopard. Not sure how you do it in Tiger because I always name mine at the start and never change them).
I'm postponing installing Leopard now until I'm at least a little familiar with the machine - and I would like to be able to separate all my "own" stuff from what came pre-installed so I could re-install without losing my own data and applications (hopefully...). That suggests a partition to me, but I'm not sure, and not sure if that's even possible with a single pre-installed HD in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Which machine are you going to use for your e-mail?
Grace, for now - but I have Alan set up with an identical Eudora using a synced copy of all my email, so I can basically pick up the laptop and continue, and re-sync when I get back. So until Odysseus grows up, it would be nice if I could get my hands on a (free?) Eudora for Mac - but do I remember correctly that it won't work on Leopard?

(Baby steps, Marjolein! This is new territory...)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote